|37000 Feet||Browse and search NASA's
Aviation Safety Reporting System
|Local Time Of Day||1201 To 1800|
|Locale Reference||airport : zzz.airport|
|Altitude||agl single value : 0|
|Operator||common carrier : air carrier|
|Make Model Name||Regional Jet 200 ER&LR|
|Operating Under FAR Part||Part 121|
|Flight Phase||ground : takeoff roll|
|Affiliation||company : air carrier|
|Function||flight crew : captain|
oversight : pic
|Experience||flight time last 90 days : 200|
flight time total : 5000
flight time type : 4000
|Anomaly||aircraft equipment problem : critical|
|Independent Detector||other flight crewa|
|Resolutory Action||flight crew : took precautionary avoidance action|
I was the captain and PF. We had a full flight plus a jump-seater onboard and we pushed back from gate at approximately XA40 local. Due to the WX (east winds at 10KTS; 3SM; fzra; OVC004) we needed to taxi for de-ice before departure. After that was complete we taxied to runway 09L for takeoff. During takeoff at approximately 130 KTS; we received a triple chime master warning message for the anti-ice duct. All factors being considered (fzra; moderate ice up to FL250 and sufficient runway) I decided to abort the takeoff. All procedures followed with no emergency declared. We taxied back to the gate. I called maintenance control; explained our problem and decided to remove the passenger from the plane. After about an hour; contract maintenance showed up and performed the rejected takeoff check. Everything checked out fine and he left to get the paperwork for the anti-ice check. He returned; we did the anti-ice electrical test; and had to wait until XE00 local to get permission from ATC to go run the engines up. Everything checked out fine on the electrical test. During the run-up test; we checked the anti-ice in the normal position; the mechanic advised we were supposed to get the left wing caution message during the check until the wing heated up. We never received that message and at the same time we had no flow to the left wing on the anti-ice page and no advisory message saying the wing anti-ice was on. We were in agreement that the test in standby mode was also a failure. The mechanic called maintenance control. He came back to the cockpit and said we would test it again in normal and that time we received the correct indications. We taxied back to the gate and the maintenance guy advised that they were good with the norm mode but were going to defer the stby mode. I felt since we already aborted in the norm mode; it failed the check once and now they wanted to take away my back-up stby mode; that the aircraft was unsafe to fly in the current conditions. I refused the aircraft and the crew and I went back to the hotel after remote parking the aircraft at approximately XD00 local. In addition to my report; I add; my reasoning for the high speed rejected takeoff wasn't a rash decision. My thorough preflight of the aircraft; weather; and field conditions gave me no hesitation when I heard that triple chime with the anti-ice duct warning message. That I could not take the chance to take that plane airborne if there was no certainty that I was going to be able to keep it aloft in the conditions that existed. There was a serious problem with the anti-ice system and as the maintenance test proved; it could have been a terrible situation.
Original NASA ASRS Text
Title: A CRJ200 REJECTED A TKOF BECAUSE OF AN ANTI-ICE DUCT WARNING EICAS MSG. WX WAS FREEZING RAIN AT THE ARPT AND ICING IN CLB TO FL250.
Narrative: I WAS THE CAPT AND PF. WE HAD A FULL FLT PLUS A JUMP-SEATER ONBOARD AND WE PUSHED BACK FROM GATE AT APPROX XA40 LOCAL. DUE TO THE WX (E WINDS AT 10KTS; 3SM; FZRA; OVC004) WE NEEDED TO TAXI FOR DE-ICE BEFORE DEP. AFTER THAT WAS COMPLETE WE TAXIED TO RWY 09L FOR TAKEOFF. DURING TKOF AT APPROX 130 KTS; WE RECEIVED A TRIPLE CHIME MASTER WARNING MESSAGE FOR THE ANTI-ICE DUCT. ALL FACTORS BEING CONSIDERED (FZRA; MODERATE ICE UP TO FL250 AND SUFFICIENT RWY) I DECIDED TO ABORT THE TKOF. ALL PROCS FOLLOWED WITH NO EMER DECLARED. WE TAXIED BACK TO THE GATE. I CALLED MAINT CTL; EXPLAINED OUR PROBLEM AND DECIDED TO REMOVE THE PAX FROM THE PLANE. AFTER ABOUT AN HOUR; CONTRACT MAINT SHOWED UP AND PERFORMED THE RTO CHK. EVERYTHING CHKED OUT FINE AND HE LEFT TO GET THE PAPERWORK FOR THE ANTI-ICE CHECK. HE RETURNED; WE DID THE ANTI-ICE ELECTRICAL TEST; AND HAD TO WAIT UNTIL XE00 LOCAL TO GET PERMISSION FROM ATC TO GO RUN THE ENGINES UP. EVERYTHING CHKED OUT FINE ON THE ELECTRICAL TEST. DURING THE RUN-UP TEST; WE CHKED THE ANTI-ICE IN THE NORMAL POSITION; THE MECHANIC ADVISED WE WERE SUPPOSED TO GET THE L WING CAUTION MESSAGE DURING THE CHK UNTIL THE WING HEATED UP. WE NEVER RECEIVED THAT MESSAGE AND AT THE SAME TIME WE HAD NO FLOW TO THE L WING ON THE ANTI-ICE PAGE AND NO ADVISORY MESSAGE SAYING THE WING ANTI-ICE WAS ON. WE WERE IN AGREEMENT THAT THE TEST IN STANDBY MODE WAS ALSO A FAILURE. THE MECHANIC CALLED MAINT CTL. HE CAME BACK TO THE COCKPIT AND SAID WE WOULD TEST IT AGAIN IN NORMAL AND THAT TIME WE RECEIVED THE CORRECT INDICATIONS. WE TAXIED BACK TO THE GATE AND THE MAINT GUY ADVISED THAT THEY WERE GOOD WITH THE NORM MODE BUT WERE GOING TO DEFER THE STBY MODE. I FELT SINCE WE ALREADY ABORTED IN THE NORM MODE; IT FAILED THE CHK ONCE AND NOW THEY WANTED TO TAKE AWAY MY BACK-UP STBY MODE; THAT THE ACFT WAS UNSAFE TO FLY IN THE CURRENT CONDITIONS. I REFUSED THE ACFT AND THE CREW AND I WENT BACK TO THE HOTEL AFTER REMOTE PARKING THE ACFT AT APPROX XD00 LOCAL. IN ADDITION TO MY RPT; I ADD; MY REASONING FOR THE HIGH SPEED RTO WASN'T A RASH DECISION. MY THOROUGH PREFLIGHT OF THE ACFT; WEATHER; AND FIELD CONDITIONS GAVE ME NO HESITATION WHEN I HEARD THAT TRIPLE CHIME WITH THE ANTI-ICE DUCT WARNING MESSAGE. THAT I COULD NOT TAKE THE CHANCE TO TAKE THAT PLANE AIRBORNE IF THERE WAS NO CERTAINTY THAT I WAS GOING TO BE ABLE TO KEEP IT ALOFT IN THE CONDITIONS THAT EXISTED. THERE WAS A SERIOUS PROBLEM WITH THE ANTI-ICE SYSTEM AND AS THE MAINT TEST PROVED; IT COULD HAVE BEEN A TERRIBLE SITUATION.
Data retrieved from NASA's ASRS site as of January 2009 and automatically converted to unabbreviated mixed upper/lowercase text. This report is for informational purposes with no guarantee of accuracy. See NASA's ASRS site for official report.