|37000 Feet||Browse and search NASA's
Aviation Safety Reporting System
|Local Time Of Day||0601 To 1200|
|Locale Reference||airport : sns.airport|
|Altitude||msl single value : 8800|
|Controlling Facilities||tracon : nct.tracon|
|Operator||general aviation : personal|
|Make Model Name||Golden Eagle 421|
|Operating Under FAR Part||Part 91|
|Flight Phase||climbout : intermediate altitude|
|Route In Use||departure : on vectors|
|Function||flight crew : single pilot|
|Qualification||pilot : instrument|
pilot : private
|Experience||flight time last 90 days : 51|
flight time total : 1127
flight time type : 64
|Affiliation||government : faa|
|Function||controller : departure|
|Anomaly||aircraft equipment problem : critical|
|Independent Detector||aircraft equipment other aircraft equipment : eng manifold pressure|
other flight crewa
|Resolutory Action||controller : provided flight assist|
controller : issued new clearance
flight crew : landed in emergency condition
flight crew : diverted to another airport
flight crew : declared emergency
Flight Crew Human Performance
Departed monterey at XA35 PDT. Climb out normal until approximately 10 NM east of salinas at 8800 ft MSL. Sudden loss of manifold pressure in left engine. I declared an emergency and was cleared back to mry. I elected to go to mry rather than sns, because: 1) I often fly to mry, and am familiar with the descent profile. 2) I've never landed at sns, and am unfamiliar with the descent profile. 3) in the event that a single-engine go around might have been necessary, in mry, this would have taken place mostly over water with on obstructions. I was unfamiliar with the climb-path from sns. 4) I was plenty high (8800 ft MSL) with good airspeed, thus easily able to join the mry published approach profile. I feathered the engine and conducted a normal approach into mry without incident. In retrospect, even though I was closer to sns rather than myr, I believe I made the correct decision in returning to mry for the reason given above.
Original NASA ASRS Text
Title: C421 PLT HAS THE L ENG FAIL, DECLARES AN EMER AND RETURNS TO HIS DEP FIELD MRY.
Narrative: DEPARTED MONTEREY AT XA35 PDT. CLBOUT NORMAL UNTIL APPROX 10 NM E OF SALINAS AT 8800 FT MSL. SUDDEN LOSS OF MANIFOLD PRESSURE IN L ENG. I DECLARED AN EMER AND WAS CLRED BACK TO MRY. I ELECTED TO GO TO MRY RATHER THAN SNS, BECAUSE: 1) I OFTEN FLY TO MRY, AND AM FAMILIAR WITH THE DSCNT PROFILE. 2) I'VE NEVER LANDED AT SNS, AND AM UNFAMILIAR WITH THE DSCNT PROFILE. 3) IN THE EVENT THAT A SINGLE-ENG GAR MIGHT HAVE BEEN NECESSARY, IN MRY, THIS WOULD HAVE TAKEN PLACE MOSTLY OVER WATER WITH ON OBSTRUCTIONS. I WAS UNFAMILIAR WITH THE CLB-PATH FROM SNS. 4) I WAS PLENTY HIGH (8800 FT MSL) WITH GOOD AIRSPD, THUS EASILY ABLE TO JOIN THE MRY PUBLISHED APCH PROFILE. I FEATHERED THE ENG AND CONDUCTED A NORMAL APCH INTO MRY WITHOUT INCIDENT. IN RETROSPECT, EVEN THOUGH I WAS CLOSER TO SNS RATHER THAN MYR, I BELIEVE I MADE THE CORRECT DECISION IN RETURNING TO MRY FOR THE REASON GIVEN ABOVE.
Data retrieved from NASA's ASRS site as of July 2007 and automatically converted to unabbreviated mixed upper/lowercase text. This report is for informational purposes with no guarantee of accuracy. See NASA's ASRS site for official report.