|37000 Feet||Browse and search NASA's
Aviation Safety Reporting System
|Local Time Of Day||0601 To 1200|
|Locale Reference||airport : cno|
|Altitude||msl bound lower : 1700|
msl bound upper : 4500
|Controlling Facilities||tower : cno|
|Operator||general aviation : instructional|
|Make Model Name||Small Aircraft, Low Wing, 1 Eng, Retractable Gear|
|Flight Phase||descent other|
|Function||flight crew : single pilot|
|Qualification||pilot : commercial|
pilot : instrument
pilot : cfi
|Experience||flight time last 90 days : 300|
flight time total : 1000
flight time type : 100
|Anomaly||non adherence : far|
|Independent Detector||other flight crewa|
|Resolutory Action||flight crew : regained aircraft control|
|Primary Problem||Flight Crew Human Performance|
|Air Traffic Incident||Pilot Deviation|
Was flying direct to pdz VOR in an small aircraft expecting the ILS 26 into chino. We were inbound on the 290 degree right (approximately) which took us directly over chino airport. At this time we saw the airport below us and about 5-10 mi of clear sky in front of us. There was a layer with tops about 4000', hence setting up for the ILS. There was a slow plane in front of us for the ILS and we were operating on a speed restriction. I decided it would be easier to descend VFR toward corona then double back and enter the pattern at cno VFR. We cancelled our radar services--I forget if we had gone to IFR handling at the time--then brought the power back a couple of inches and descended in the yellow arc. I contacted cno tower (handed off by approach) when descending through 4000'. We were getting close to some mountains and clouds, so I decided to do a steep turn to loose altitude faster. We were over corona airport at this time. While I was looking around for cno airport the bank went to 90 degrees and the airspeed hit red line. After handling this and putting on a show for corona airport I was headed towards cno at about 210 mph indicated and below 3500'. I was in the air traffic area now. I actually slowed the plane down for a nice approach and landing after this. The mistake I made was thinking I could lose the 3000 or 4000' in a much smaller area than I actually could. I figured I could get the plane level at pattern altitude and slow down there. I had also planned to proceed further from the airport before doubling back and should have. I was really not that close to the mountains or clouds. Also, I had not flown an small aircraft X in a while and must have forgotten that you cannot lose altitude as well as you can in an small aircraft Y. I also became a bit disoriented when looking for cno in a 60-70 degree bank turn while descending at 1500-2000 FPM. That's when the place temporarily got away from me. I pushed it too hard to lose the altitude when I saw it was taking too long.
Original NASA ASRS Text
Title: GA SMA LOSS OF ACFT CONTROL AND SPEED DEVIATION IN ATA.
Narrative: WAS FLYING DIRECT TO PDZ VOR IN AN SMA EXPECTING THE ILS 26 INTO CHINO. WE WERE INBND ON THE 290 DEG R (APPROX) WHICH TOOK US DIRECTLY OVER CHINO ARPT. AT THIS TIME WE SAW THE ARPT BELOW US AND ABOUT 5-10 MI OF CLEAR SKY IN FRONT OF US. THERE WAS A LAYER WITH TOPS ABOUT 4000', HENCE SETTING UP FOR THE ILS. THERE WAS A SLOW PLANE IN FRONT OF US FOR THE ILS AND WE WERE OPERATING ON A SPD RESTRICTION. I DECIDED IT WOULD BE EASIER TO DSND VFR TOWARD CORONA THEN DOUBLE BACK AND ENTER THE PATTERN AT CNO VFR. WE CANCELLED OUR RADAR SVCS--I FORGET IF WE HAD GONE TO IFR HANDLING AT THE TIME--THEN BROUGHT THE PWR BACK A COUPLE OF INCHES AND DSNDED IN THE YELLOW ARC. I CONTACTED CNO TWR (HANDED OFF BY APCH) WHEN DSNDING THROUGH 4000'. WE WERE GETTING CLOSE TO SOME MOUNTAINS AND CLOUDS, SO I DECIDED TO DO A STEEP TURN TO LOOSE ALT FASTER. WE WERE OVER CORONA ARPT AT THIS TIME. WHILE I WAS LOOKING AROUND FOR CNO ARPT THE BANK WENT TO 90 DEGS AND THE AIRSPD HIT RED LINE. AFTER HANDLING THIS AND PUTTING ON A SHOW FOR CORONA ARPT I WAS HEADED TOWARDS CNO AT ABOUT 210 MPH INDICATED AND BELOW 3500'. I WAS IN THE ATA NOW. I ACTUALLY SLOWED THE PLANE DOWN FOR A NICE APCH AND LNDG AFTER THIS. THE MISTAKE I MADE WAS THINKING I COULD LOSE THE 3000 OR 4000' IN A MUCH SMALLER AREA THAN I ACTUALLY COULD. I FIGURED I COULD GET THE PLANE LEVEL AT PATTERN ALT AND SLOW DOWN THERE. I HAD ALSO PLANNED TO PROCEED FURTHER FROM THE ARPT BEFORE DOUBLING BACK AND SHOULD HAVE. I WAS REALLY NOT THAT CLOSE TO THE MOUNTAINS OR CLOUDS. ALSO, I HAD NOT FLOWN AN SMA X IN A WHILE AND MUST HAVE FORGOTTEN THAT YOU CANNOT LOSE ALT AS WELL AS YOU CAN IN AN SMA Y. I ALSO BECAME A BIT DISORIENTED WHEN LOOKING FOR CNO IN A 60-70 DEG BANK TURN WHILE DSNDING AT 1500-2000 FPM. THAT'S WHEN THE PLACE TEMPORARILY GOT AWAY FROM ME. I PUSHED IT TOO HARD TO LOSE THE ALT WHEN I SAW IT WAS TAKING TOO LONG.
Data retrieved from NASA's ASRS site as of August 2007 and automatically converted to unabbreviated mixed upper/lowercase text. This report is for informational purposes with no guarantee of accuracy. See NASA's ASRS site for official report.