|37000 Feet||Browse and search NASA's
Aviation Safety Reporting System
|Local Time Of Day||0601 To 1200|
|Locale Reference||airport : cgi.airport|
|Altitude||agl single value : 0|
|Operator||general aviation : personal|
|Make Model Name||Any Unknown or Unlisted Aircraft Manufacturer|
|Operating Under FAR Part||Part 91|
|Flight Phase||ground : taxi|
|Function||flight crew : single pilot|
|Qualification||pilot : private|
|Experience||flight time last 90 days : 60|
flight time total : 1272
flight time type : 103
|Affiliation||government : faa|
|Function||controller : local|
|Anomaly||incursion : runway|
non adherence : clearance
non adherence : published procedure
|Independent Detector||other controllera|
|Resolutory Action||none taken : detected after the fact|
|Consequence||faa : reviewed incident with flight crew|
|Problem Areas||Flight Crew Human Performance|
ATC Human Performance
|Primary Problem||Flight Crew Human Performance|
|Air Traffic Incident||Pilot Deviation|
The morning of the incident, I called FSS. Advised I wanted a WX briefing for a VFR flight, leaving within the hour. Cgi was reporting clear below 12000 ft, calm winds and 6-10 mi visibility and an occasional light (virga) mist reported at 6000 ft. Cgi sits near the mississippi river and I was cognizant of ground fog which is not an uncommon occurrence there. The temperature/dewpoint spread was in excess of 8 degrees at the time of my brief. I departed fam en route to cgi, VFR, within 30 mins of my WX briefing. Cgi is a routine 'hop' for me and I spotted familiar landmarks from 20-30 mi out. I spotted the vicinity of the airport and noticed some haze, in patches, on or near the deck. I called cgi tower approximately 10 mi northwest of the field and asked for landing instructions. I was advised cgi was IFR, closed to me and to remain clear. I acknowledge same. My son and I discussed alternative landing sites and him finding a ride to college, etc, and did not turn back, but continued on-course, at altitude. Approximately 2 mins later the controller asked if I was still on frequency and I advised I was and also that I had a clear visual of the airport and runways from 6.5 mi out. He cleared me to land and asked me to report 2 mi left base. I reported and landed without any visibility problems. On base, I confirmed my intent to land if I could depart as soon as I dropped off my passenger. The controller advised I could -- if the visibility conditions didn't deteriorate - which they didn't in less than 5 mins from that point I'd landed, dropped off my son and advised the controller I was ready to depart VFR back to home. There was no other traffic (on the radios) other than myself. The controller knew I was returning to the northwest and cleared me to taxi. As I started to taxi he called to me that I could proceed to the runway via taxiway B and depart from there, that there was 4500 ft (I believe) of runway remaining. I rolled onto the runway and he advised me that I'd crossed the hold short line and gone onto the runway without permission. It was my intent to taxi to the beginning of the runway, until the controller advised me that I could expedite by taking taxiway B for a quicker departure. It was my fault by not 'verifying' I was cleared for departure. The sole controller at cgi at that time of morning knew I was VFR and in a haste to depart before the WX went IFR. I took it for granted his suggestion to me to expedite by taking taxiway B to the runway was his way of helping me get gone -- pronto. My haste was aggravated by the fact that upon my return home I was leaving for kansas city and was trying to keep to 'my' schedule and not keep my passenger at fam waiting for me any longer than necessary. I've been flying in and out of cgi for 16 yrs now, and am very familiar with that airport. I guess I was in too much of a hurry to 'analyze' what the controller meant -- rather than thinking the controller was doing what he could to expedite my departure before river fog had a chance to move in and strand me at cgi.
Original NASA ASRS Text
Title: AN SMA PLT, TAXIING FOR TKOF AT CGI, TAXIED ONTO THE RWY FOR AN INTXN TKOF WITHOUT A CLRNC.
Narrative: THE MORNING OF THE INCIDENT, I CALLED FSS. ADVISED I WANTED A WX BRIEFING FOR A VFR FLT, LEAVING WITHIN THE HR. CGI WAS RPTING CLR BELOW 12000 FT, CALM WINDS AND 6-10 MI VISIBILITY AND AN OCCASIONAL LIGHT (VIRGA) MIST RPTED AT 6000 FT. CGI SITS NEAR THE MISSISSIPPI RIVER AND I WAS COGNIZANT OF GND FOG WHICH IS NOT AN UNCOMMON OCCURRENCE THERE. THE TEMP/DEWPOINT SPREAD WAS IN EXCESS OF 8 DEGS AT THE TIME OF MY BRIEF. I DEPARTED FAM ENRTE TO CGI, VFR, WITHIN 30 MINS OF MY WX BRIEFING. CGI IS A ROUTINE 'HOP' FOR ME AND I SPOTTED FAMILIAR LANDMARKS FROM 20-30 MI OUT. I SPOTTED THE VICINITY OF THE ARPT AND NOTICED SOME HAZE, IN PATCHES, ON OR NEAR THE DECK. I CALLED CGI TWR APPROX 10 MI NW OF THE FIELD AND ASKED FOR LNDG INSTRUCTIONS. I WAS ADVISED CGI WAS IFR, CLOSED TO ME AND TO REMAIN CLR. I ACKNOWLEDGE SAME. MY SON AND I DISCUSSED ALTERNATIVE LNDG SITES AND HIM FINDING A RIDE TO COLLEGE, ETC, AND DID NOT TURN BACK, BUT CONTINUED ON-COURSE, AT ALT. APPROX 2 MINS LATER THE CTLR ASKED IF I WAS STILL ON FREQ AND I ADVISED I WAS AND ALSO THAT I HAD A CLR VISUAL OF THE ARPT AND RWYS FROM 6.5 MI OUT. HE CLRED ME TO LAND AND ASKED ME TO RPT 2 MI L BASE. I RPTED AND LANDED WITHOUT ANY VISIBILITY PROBS. ON BASE, I CONFIRMED MY INTENT TO LAND IF I COULD DEPART AS SOON AS I DROPPED OFF MY PAX. THE CTLR ADVISED I COULD -- IF THE VISIBILITY CONDITIONS DIDN'T DETERIORATE - WHICH THEY DIDN'T IN LESS THAN 5 MINS FROM THAT POINT I'D LANDED, DROPPED OFF MY SON AND ADVISED THE CTLR I WAS READY TO DEPART VFR BACK TO HOME. THERE WAS NO OTHER TFC (ON THE RADIOS) OTHER THAN MYSELF. THE CTLR KNEW I WAS RETURNING TO THE NW AND CLRED ME TO TAXI. AS I STARTED TO TAXI HE CALLED TO ME THAT I COULD PROCEED TO THE RWY VIA TXWY B AND DEPART FROM THERE, THAT THERE WAS 4500 FT (I BELIEVE) OF RWY REMAINING. I ROLLED ONTO THE RWY AND HE ADVISED ME THAT I'D CROSSED THE HOLD SHORT LINE AND GONE ONTO THE RWY WITHOUT PERMISSION. IT WAS MY INTENT TO TAXI TO THE BEGINNING OF THE RWY, UNTIL THE CTLR ADVISED ME THAT I COULD EXPEDITE BY TAKING TXWY B FOR A QUICKER DEP. IT WAS MY FAULT BY NOT 'VERIFYING' I WAS CLRED FOR DEP. THE SOLE CTLR AT CGI AT THAT TIME OF MORNING KNEW I WAS VFR AND IN A HASTE TO DEPART BEFORE THE WX WENT IFR. I TOOK IT FOR GRANTED HIS SUGGESTION TO ME TO EXPEDITE BY TAKING TXWY B TO THE RWY WAS HIS WAY OF HELPING ME GET GONE -- PRONTO. MY HASTE WAS AGGRAVATED BY THE FACT THAT UPON MY RETURN HOME I WAS LEAVING FOR KANSAS CITY AND WAS TRYING TO KEEP TO 'MY' SCHEDULE AND NOT KEEP MY PAX AT FAM WAITING FOR ME ANY LONGER THAN NECESSARY. I'VE BEEN FLYING IN AND OUT OF CGI FOR 16 YRS NOW, AND AM VERY FAMILIAR WITH THAT ARPT. I GUESS I WAS IN TOO MUCH OF A HURRY TO 'ANALYZE' WHAT THE CTLR MEANT -- RATHER THAN THINKING THE CTLR WAS DOING WHAT HE COULD TO EXPEDITE MY DEP BEFORE RIVER FOG HAD A CHANCE TO MOVE IN AND STRAND ME AT CGI.
Data retrieved from NASA's ASRS site as of July 2007 and automatically converted to unabbreviated mixed upper/lowercase text. This report is for informational purposes with no guarantee of accuracy. See NASA's ASRS site for official report.