|37000 Feet||Browse and search NASA's
Aviation Safety Reporting System
|Local Time Of Day||1201 To 1800|
|Locale Reference||airport : dfw|
|Altitude||msl bound lower : 4000|
msl bound upper : 4000
|Controlling Facilities||tracon : dfw|
|Operator||common carrier : air carrier|
|Make Model Name||ATR 42|
|Operating Under FAR Part||Part 121|
|Flight Phase||climbout : takeoff|
|Route In Use||enroute : on vectors|
|Affiliation||company : air carrier|
|Function||flight crew : first officer|
|Qualification||pilot : atp|
|Experience||flight time last 90 days : 210|
flight time total : 5000
flight time type : 2000
|Affiliation||company : air carrier|
|Function||flight crew : captain|
oversight : pic
|Qualification||pilot : atp|
|Anomaly||inflight encounter : weather|
|Independent Detector||aircraft equipment other aircraft equipment : unspecified|
other flight crewa
|Resolutory Action||flight crew : exited adverse environment|
|Air Traffic Incident||other|
|ATC Facility||procedure or policy : unspecified|
The captain and I departed runway 36R at dfw in an ATR 42. Surface temperature was 2 degrees C with low clouds and mist. Our initial clearance was a heading of 240 degrees and climb to 2000 ft. At 1000 ft the level 3 ice warning light illuminated, and level 3 ice protection was turned on. Tower handed us off to departure control. At 1500 ft I contacted departure control stating that our flight was 'through 1500 ft climbing to 2000 ft, request higher as soon as possible due to WX.' ATC acknowledged and assigned heading 270 degrees, climb and maintain 4000 ft. By this time, the climb checks were completed, the aircraft was in a clean confign, flaps 0 degrees. Climbing through 3000 ft, I noticed ice rapidly accumulating on the aircraft. At 3500 ft both side windows were completely glazed with ice, including the heated portion of the side window. I was unable to visibly check the wing for ice. Level at 4000 ft, the captain and I discussed the situation briefly, noting at least 1 - 1 1/2 inches of clear ice on the ice probe, including the streaming of water and freezing rain we experienced during the climb, and at present ice was continually building on the aircraft at a rapid rate. With no assurance from ATC for a higher altitude assignment, we decided most of the accumulation was acquired between 3000 ft and 4000 ft and a descent to 2000 ft and return to dfw was the best escape. I reported to ATC that our flight was experiencing severe icing conditions with freezing rain, and requested 2000 ft and vectors to dfw. ATC assigned heading 180 degrees, descend to 2000 ft. Total duration of time from takeoff to now, approximately 4-5 mins. Descending through 2500 ft, I noticed some of the ice build up, on the heated portion only, of the side window was beginning to shed. At 2000 ft ice accretion had stopped. On final approach I noted the high power setting that the captain had to use to maintain the GS, an indication of the large amount of ice we were carrying. After landing we waited for 25 mins before our gate opened, during which time, some of the ice on the aircraft was melting. After parking, postflt inspection revealed what was left of a ridge of ice, measuring approximately 18 inches long, 1/2 inch wide and 1/4 - 3/8 inch high (ragged). This finding was on the right wing between the engine nacelle and the break between the new style de-ice boot and the old one and also between the top portion of the ice boot and beginning of the top of the wing. The captain and I debriefed on the telephone with the dispatcher of our experience and issued him reports of our findings. The most disturbing part of this experience is the FAA now has authorized our company as well as other acrs to dispatch aircraft into known freezing rain conditions. Yes, the FAA also put great restrs on this. However, the authority/authorized is with the company. Therefore, influencing dispatchers and directors of operation mgrs into pressuring pilots to fly in these conditions. This scenario happened not only to myself, but to other pilots that I work with. I some cases the company took disciplinary action against the pilot and perhaps the dispatcher. After making our pilot reports known to ATC and to the dispatcher, we expected to see these reports issued to other pilots, our reports were not entered into the system, nor were we able to find them. My suggestions to remedy these problems are as follows: to make available all information concerning PIREPS and severe WX encounters known to other pilots, and place greater restrs on flight into known freezing rain. A dispatcher must respect a pilot's decision as to whether or not to fly in certain conditions, ie, freezing rain.
Original NASA ASRS Text
Title: A COMMUTER FO RPTS ENCOUNTERING LEVEL 3 ICING CONDITIONS AFTER TKOF IN AN AT42. THE FLC REQUESTED A LOWER ALT TO ESCAPE THE ICING CONDITIONS AND RETURNED TO THE ORIGINATION ARPT. ALTHOUGH THE CREW HAD RPTED THIS INCIDENT TO ATC AND THEIR COMPANY DISPATCHER, THE RPTR NOTED THAT THE INFO WAS NOT DISSEMINATED.
Narrative: THE CAPT AND I DEPARTED RWY 36R AT DFW IN AN ATR 42. SURFACE TEMP WAS 2 DEGS C WITH LOW CLOUDS AND MIST. OUR INITIAL CLRNC WAS A HDG OF 240 DEGS AND CLB TO 2000 FT. AT 1000 FT THE LEVEL 3 ICE WARNING LIGHT ILLUMINATED, AND LEVEL 3 ICE PROTECTION WAS TURNED ON. TWR HANDED US OFF TO DEP CTL. AT 1500 FT I CONTACTED DEP CTL STATING THAT OUR FLT WAS 'THROUGH 1500 FT CLBING TO 2000 FT, REQUEST HIGHER ASAP DUE TO WX.' ATC ACKNOWLEDGED AND ASSIGNED HDG 270 DEGS, CLB AND MAINTAIN 4000 FT. BY THIS TIME, THE CLB CHKS WERE COMPLETED, THE ACFT WAS IN A CLEAN CONFIGN, FLAPS 0 DEGS. CLBING THROUGH 3000 FT, I NOTICED ICE RAPIDLY ACCUMULATING ON THE ACFT. AT 3500 FT BOTH SIDE WINDOWS WERE COMPLETELY GLAZED WITH ICE, INCLUDING THE HEATED PORTION OF THE SIDE WINDOW. I WAS UNABLE TO VISIBLY CHK THE WING FOR ICE. LEVEL AT 4000 FT, THE CAPT AND I DISCUSSED THE SIT BRIEFLY, NOTING AT LEAST 1 - 1 1/2 INCHES OF CLR ICE ON THE ICE PROBE, INCLUDING THE STREAMING OF WATER AND FREEZING RAIN WE EXPERIENCED DURING THE CLB, AND AT PRESENT ICE WAS CONTINUALLY BUILDING ON THE ACFT AT A RAPID RATE. WITH NO ASSURANCE FROM ATC FOR A HIGHER ALT ASSIGNMENT, WE DECIDED MOST OF THE ACCUMULATION WAS ACQUIRED BTWN 3000 FT AND 4000 FT AND A DSCNT TO 2000 FT AND RETURN TO DFW WAS THE BEST ESCAPE. I RPTED TO ATC THAT OUR FLT WAS EXPERIENCING SEVERE ICING CONDITIONS WITH FREEZING RAIN, AND REQUESTED 2000 FT AND VECTORS TO DFW. ATC ASSIGNED HDG 180 DEGS, DSND TO 2000 FT. TOTAL DURATION OF TIME FROM TKOF TO NOW, APPROX 4-5 MINS. DSNDING THROUGH 2500 FT, I NOTICED SOME OF THE ICE BUILD UP, ON THE HEATED PORTION ONLY, OF THE SIDE WINDOW WAS BEGINNING TO SHED. AT 2000 FT ICE ACCRETION HAD STOPPED. ON FINAL APCH I NOTED THE HIGH PWR SETTING THAT THE CAPT HAD TO USE TO MAINTAIN THE GS, AN INDICATION OF THE LARGE AMOUNT OF ICE WE WERE CARRYING. AFTER LNDG WE WAITED FOR 25 MINS BEFORE OUR GATE OPENED, DURING WHICH TIME, SOME OF THE ICE ON THE ACFT WAS MELTING. AFTER PARKING, POSTFLT INSPECTION REVEALED WHAT WAS LEFT OF A RIDGE OF ICE, MEASURING APPROX 18 INCHES LONG, 1/2 INCH WIDE AND 1/4 - 3/8 INCH HIGH (RAGGED). THIS FINDING WAS ON THE R WING BTWN THE ENG NACELLE AND THE BREAK BTWN THE NEW STYLE DE-ICE BOOT AND THE OLD ONE AND ALSO BTWN THE TOP PORTION OF THE ICE BOOT AND BEGINNING OF THE TOP OF THE WING. THE CAPT AND I DEBRIEFED ON THE TELEPHONE WITH THE DISPATCHER OF OUR EXPERIENCE AND ISSUED HIM RPTS OF OUR FINDINGS. THE MOST DISTURBING PART OF THIS EXPERIENCE IS THE FAA NOW HAS AUTHORIZED OUR COMPANY AS WELL AS OTHER ACRS TO DISPATCH ACFT INTO KNOWN FREEZING RAIN CONDITIONS. YES, THE FAA ALSO PUT GREAT RESTRS ON THIS. HOWEVER, THE AUTH IS WITH THE COMPANY. THEREFORE, INFLUENCING DISPATCHERS AND DIRECTORS OF OP MGRS INTO PRESSURING PLTS TO FLY IN THESE CONDITIONS. THIS SCENARIO HAPPENED NOT ONLY TO MYSELF, BUT TO OTHER PLTS THAT I WORK WITH. I SOME CASES THE COMPANY TOOK DISCIPLINARY ACTION AGAINST THE PLT AND PERHAPS THE DISPATCHER. AFTER MAKING OUR PLT RPTS KNOWN TO ATC AND TO THE DISPATCHER, WE EXPECTED TO SEE THESE RPTS ISSUED TO OTHER PLTS, OUR RPTS WERE NOT ENTERED INTO THE SYS, NOR WERE WE ABLE TO FIND THEM. MY SUGGESTIONS TO REMEDY THESE PROBS ARE AS FOLLOWS: TO MAKE AVAILABLE ALL INFO CONCERNING PIREPS AND SEVERE WX ENCOUNTERS KNOWN TO OTHER PLTS, AND PLACE GREATER RESTRS ON FLT INTO KNOWN FREEZING RAIN. A DISPATCHER MUST RESPECT A PLT'S DECISION AS TO WHETHER OR NOT TO FLY IN CERTAIN CONDITIONS, IE, FREEZING RAIN.
Data retrieved from NASA's ASRS site as of July 2007 and automatically converted to unabbreviated mixed upper/lowercase text. This report is for informational purposes with no guarantee of accuracy. See NASA's ASRS site for official report.