|37000 Feet||Browse and search NASA's
Aviation Safety Reporting System
|Local Time Of Day||1201 To 1800|
|Locale Reference||airport : mco|
|Altitude||msl bound lower : 4000|
msl bound upper : 4000
|Controlling Facilities||tracon : mco|
|Operator||common carrier : air carrier|
|Make Model Name||Commercial Fixed Wing|
|Operating Under FAR Part||Part 135|
|Flight Phase||climbout : intermediate altitude|
|Affiliation||company : air carrier|
|Function||flight crew : captain|
oversight : pic
|Qualification||pilot : atp|
|Experience||flight time last 90 days : 180|
flight time total : 6000
flight time type : 350
|Affiliation||company : air carrier|
|Function||flight crew : first officer|
|Qualification||pilot : instrument|
pilot : commercial
|Anomaly||aircraft equipment problem : less severe|
other anomaly other
|Independent Detector||aircraft equipment other aircraft equipment : unspecified|
other flight crewa
|Air Traffic Incident||other|
Departed mlb, fl to mco, fl, in the middle of a 15 1/2 hour duty day. The total duration of this flight is 20 mins or less. Upon climb out, after takeoff we were performing climb checklist, I was the PF, when we noticed we still had a red, right gear light and were discussing it when tower called and stated it appeared we still had a gear down. We followed procedure to recycle the gear and observed normal indications for intransit, down and lock green lights and on up cycle normal indications again, tower asked our intentions and we conferred and elected to continue and run our checklist, normal and abnormal. As we were trouble- shooting and doing checklist the right main gear indicator light would be out, then come on red, then go to green and then out and, again cycle, our checklist did not address this and we were by this time less than 10 mi from mco and elected to extend the gear down, again received all normal indications and all down and lock lights. We notified mco approach, which we were talking to by this point that our speed would be only 170 KTS due to our gear extension from the light indication. Approach cleared us for visual and turned us over to tower as we indicated all was fine no emergency existed. Tower cleared us to land and we asked tower if they could visually confirm our gear was down as it was indicating and they said yes it was, do you want assistance? I decided to ask tower if the equipment could stand by but we had no emergency indicated, I just want to be on the safe side. The landing, taxi, all went normal. Maintenance determined that an up limit switch was only working intermittently and changed it. I believe this flight and the abnormal situation was handled professionally and in total safety. I hope the decisions made are never in question in regard to continuing a flight, but if it is, that the facts and close proximity and very short duration proves the safest decisions and right decisions were made to the best airport in point of time.
Original NASA ASRS Text
Title: FLC OF AN LTT CALLED FOR CFR GND EQUIP STANDBY DURING LNDG DUE TO INTERMITTENT GEAR LIGHT INDICATION.
Narrative: DEPARTED MLB, FL TO MCO, FL, IN THE MIDDLE OF A 15 1/2 HR DUTY DAY. THE TOTAL DURATION OF THIS FLT IS 20 MINS OR LESS. UPON CLBOUT, AFTER TKOF WE WERE PERFORMING CLB CHKLIST, I WAS THE PF, WHEN WE NOTICED WE STILL HAD A RED, R GEAR LIGHT AND WERE DISCUSSING IT WHEN TWR CALLED AND STATED IT APPEARED WE STILL HAD A GEAR DOWN. WE FOLLOWED PROC TO RECYCLE THE GEAR AND OBSERVED NORMAL INDICATIONS FOR INTRANSIT, DOWN AND LOCK GREEN LIGHTS AND ON UP CYCLE NORMAL INDICATIONS AGAIN, TWR ASKED OUR INTENTIONS AND WE CONFERRED AND ELECTED TO CONTINUE AND RUN OUR CHKLIST, NORMAL AND ABNORMAL. AS WE WERE TROUBLE- SHOOTING AND DOING CHKLIST THE R MAIN GEAR INDICATOR LIGHT WOULD BE OUT, THEN COME ON RED, THEN GO TO GREEN AND THEN OUT AND, AGAIN CYCLE, OUR CHKLIST DID NOT ADDRESS THIS AND WE WERE BY THIS TIME LESS THAN 10 MI FROM MCO AND ELECTED TO EXTEND THE GEAR DOWN, AGAIN RECEIVED ALL NORMAL INDICATIONS AND ALL DOWN AND LOCK LIGHTS. WE NOTIFIED MCO APCH, WHICH WE WERE TALKING TO BY THIS POINT THAT OUR SPD WOULD BE ONLY 170 KTS DUE TO OUR GEAR EXTENSION FROM THE LIGHT INDICATION. APCH CLRED US FOR VISUAL AND TURNED US OVER TO TWR AS WE INDICATED ALL WAS FINE NO EMER EXISTED. TWR CLRED US TO LAND AND WE ASKED TWR IF THEY COULD VISUALLY CONFIRM OUR GEAR WAS DOWN AS IT WAS INDICATING AND THEY SAID YES IT WAS, DO YOU WANT ASSISTANCE? I DECIDED TO ASK TWR IF THE EQUIP COULD STAND BY BUT WE HAD NO EMER INDICATED, I JUST WANT TO BE ON THE SAFE SIDE. THE LNDG, TAXI, ALL WENT NORMAL. MAINT DETERMINED THAT AN UP LIMIT SWITCH WAS ONLY WORKING INTERMITTENTLY AND CHANGED IT. I BELIEVE THIS FLT AND THE ABNORMAL SIT WAS HANDLED PROFESSIONALLY AND IN TOTAL SAFETY. I HOPE THE DECISIONS MADE ARE NEVER IN QUESTION IN REGARD TO CONTINUING A FLT, BUT IF IT IS, THAT THE FACTS AND CLOSE PROX AND VERY SHORT DURATION PROVES THE SAFEST DECISIONS AND RIGHT DECISIONS WERE MADE TO THE BEST ARPT IN POINT OF TIME.
Data retrieved from NASA's ASRS site as of July 2007 and automatically converted to unabbreviated mixed upper/lowercase text. This report is for informational purposes with no guarantee of accuracy. See NASA's ASRS site for official report.