|37000 Feet||Browse and search NASA's
Aviation Safety Reporting System
|Local Time Of Day||1201 To 1800|
|Locale Reference||airport : ddc|
|Altitude||agl bound lower : 250|
agl bound upper : 250
|Controlling Facilities||artcc : zkc|
|Operator||general aviation : instructional|
|Make Model Name||Small Aircraft, High Wing, 1 Eng, Fixed Gear|
|Flight Phase||cruise other|
|Route In Use||approach : svfr|
enroute : direct
|Function||instruction : instructor|
|Qualification||pilot : cfi|
pilot : commercial
pilot : instrument
|Experience||flight time last 90 days : 50|
flight time total : 1200
flight time type : 400
|Function||instruction : trainee|
|Qualification||pilot : student|
|Anomaly||inflight encounter : weather|
inflight encounter : vfr in imc
non adherence : far
|Independent Detector||other flight crewa|
|Resolutory Action||none taken : anomaly accepted|
|Primary Problem||Flight Crew Human Performance|
|Air Traffic Incident||Pilot Deviation|
I was just coming back on a cross country with one of my students. We were about 15 mi out of dodge city when we noticed a layer of scattered clouds around 800 ft AGL. The forecast was for clear skies all day. I decided to call flight service and ask what the current conditions at dodge were. They replied 300 ft ceiling and 3 mi. I then told flight service I would call back to get a SVFR clearance when I got a little closer. We got about 7 mi out of dodge. I called flight service back and received my SVFR clearance. We proceeded on to dodge. Around 3 mi from dodge we were having to fly around 250 ft AGL to avoid the clouds. As we approached a landmark that I was familiar with, which was about a mi from the airport, I noticed that the visibility at this point was under a mi. We proceeded along a road to the airport, landed and cancelled the clearance. I think that this situation could have been avoided if I had not have had the 'I need to get back' attitude. Instead, we could have just landed at another airport that was only about 10 mi from dodge and had someone come pick us up.
Original NASA ASRS Text
Title: SVFR CLRNC BUT FLYING IN BELOW MINIMUM CONDITIONS.
Narrative: I WAS JUST COMING BACK ON A XCOUNTRY WITH ONE OF MY STUDENTS. WE WERE ABOUT 15 MI OUT OF DODGE CITY WHEN WE NOTICED A LAYER OF SCATTERED CLOUDS AROUND 800 FT AGL. THE FORECAST WAS FOR CLR SKIES ALL DAY. I DECIDED TO CALL FLT SVC AND ASK WHAT THE CURRENT CONDITIONS AT DODGE WERE. THEY REPLIED 300 FT CEILING AND 3 MI. I THEN TOLD FLT SVC I WOULD CALL BACK TO GET A SVFR CLRNC WHEN I GOT A LITTLE CLOSER. WE GOT ABOUT 7 MI OUT OF DODGE. I CALLED FLT SVC BACK AND RECEIVED MY SVFR CLRNC. WE PROCEEDED ON TO DODGE. AROUND 3 MI FROM DODGE WE WERE HAVING TO FLY AROUND 250 FT AGL TO AVOID THE CLOUDS. AS WE APCHED A LANDMARK THAT I WAS FAMILIAR WITH, WHICH WAS ABOUT A MI FROM THE ARPT, I NOTICED THAT THE VISIBILITY AT THIS POINT WAS UNDER A MI. WE PROCEEDED ALONG A ROAD TO THE ARPT, LANDED AND CANCELLED THE CLRNC. I THINK THAT THIS SIT COULD HAVE BEEN AVOIDED IF I HAD NOT HAVE HAD THE 'I NEED TO GET BACK' ATTITUDE. INSTEAD, WE COULD HAVE JUST LANDED AT ANOTHER ARPT THAT WAS ONLY ABOUT 10 MI FROM DODGE AND HAD SOMEONE COME PICK US UP.
Data retrieved from NASA's ASRS site as of July 2007 and automatically converted to unabbreviated mixed upper/lowercase text. This report is for informational purposes with no guarantee of accuracy. See NASA's ASRS site for official report.