|37000 Feet||Browse and search NASA's
Aviation Safety Reporting System
|Local Time Of Day||0001 To 0600|
|Locale Reference||atc facility : mem|
|Altitude||msl bound lower : 23000|
msl bound upper : 40000
|Controlling Facilities||artcc : zme|
tower : cvg
|Operator||common carrier : air taxi|
|Make Model Name||Light Transport, Low Wing, 2 Turbojet Eng|
|Flight Phase||climbout : intermediate altitude|
|Route In Use||enroute : direct|
|Affiliation||company : air taxi|
|Function||flight crew : captain|
oversight : pic
|Qualification||pilot : atp|
|Experience||flight time last 90 days : 220|
flight time total : 3950
|Affiliation||government : faa|
|Function||controller : radar|
|Qualification||controller : radar|
|Anomaly||aircraft equipment problem : critical|
|Independent Detector||other flight crewa|
|Resolutory Action||aircraft : equipment problem dissipated|
controller : provided flight assist
flight crew : declared emergency
flight crew : overcame equipment problem
|Consequence||faa : investigated|
I am the PIC of the light transport xyz. I was PF at the time of the occurrence. We departed bna, en route to drt. Climbing through FL400, we experienced a flameout of the left engine. The cabin altitude began to climb. Our approximately location was 100 NM northeast from mem. We requested a lower altitude due to a pressurization problem. Memphis center inquired how low we needed to go. We replied that FL200 would be low enough. They cleared us to FL200. We requested to head towards mem 'in case we are unable to correct the problem.' mem center cleared us direct to mem and down to 16000'. Descending through FL240, we executed a windmilling airstart as per the aircraft flight manual checklist. The airstart was successful. All engine instruments indicated the engine was functioning normally after the airstart. We stopped our descent at FL230. We informed memphis center that our problem was corrrcted and we could maintain FL230. We were cleared to maintain FL230 which we did. We requested back on course and FL410. We were subsequently cleared back to FL410 and on course. No mention was made about altitude deviation. No request for a phone call or any clarification was made by memphis center. We completed our trip to drt. Upon reaching drt I called my director of operations and related the details of the occurrence to him. On another trip the same day, I received a phone call in mci. The individual asked me who I was and if I was the captain of xyz. I told him my name and that I was a crew member. When he asked again if I was the captain, I asked him to identify himself. He refused and asked me again. I refused until he idented himself. He told me he was mr F with the FAA in san antonio. I asked what the nature of his inquiry was. He refused to tell me. I asked him to hold, and I called my do on another phone. He instructed me to get mr F a phone number. I did this and had my first officer give him a call.
Original NASA ASRS Text
Title: FAA CONTACTED ATX PLT ABOUT AN ALLEGED ALT DEVIATION FOLLOWING AN ENGINE FLAME OUT AT FL400.
Narrative: I AM THE PIC OF THE LTT XYZ. I WAS PF AT THE TIME OF THE OCCURRENCE. WE DEPARTED BNA, ENRTE TO DRT. CLBING THROUGH FL400, WE EXPERIENCED A FLAMEOUT OF THE L ENG. THE CABIN ALT BEGAN TO CLB. OUR APPROX LOCATION WAS 100 NM NE FROM MEM. WE REQUESTED A LOWER ALT DUE TO A PRESSURIZATION PROB. MEMPHIS CTR INQUIRED HOW LOW WE NEEDED TO GO. WE REPLIED THAT FL200 WOULD BE LOW ENOUGH. THEY CLRED US TO FL200. WE REQUESTED TO HEAD TOWARDS MEM 'IN CASE WE ARE UNABLE TO CORRECT THE PROB.' MEM CTR CLRED US DIRECT TO MEM AND DOWN TO 16000'. DSNDING THROUGH FL240, WE EXECUTED A WINDMILLING AIRSTART AS PER THE ACFT FLT MANUAL CHKLIST. THE AIRSTART WAS SUCCESSFUL. ALL ENG INSTRUMENTS INDICATED THE ENG WAS FUNCTIONING NORMALLY AFTER THE AIRSTART. WE STOPPED OUR DSNT AT FL230. WE INFORMED MEMPHIS CTR THAT OUR PROB WAS CORRRCTED AND WE COULD MAINTAIN FL230. WE WERE CLRED TO MAINTAIN FL230 WHICH WE DID. WE REQUESTED BACK ON COURSE AND FL410. WE WERE SUBSEQUENTLY CLRED BACK TO FL410 AND ON COURSE. NO MENTION WAS MADE ABOUT ALT DEV. NO REQUEST FOR A PHONE CALL OR ANY CLARIFICATION WAS MADE BY MEMPHIS CTR. WE COMPLETED OUR TRIP TO DRT. UPON REACHING DRT I CALLED MY DIRECTOR OF OPS AND RELATED THE DETAILS OF THE OCCURRENCE TO HIM. ON ANOTHER TRIP THE SAME DAY, I RECEIVED A PHONE CALL IN MCI. THE INDIVIDUAL ASKED ME WHO I WAS AND IF I WAS THE CAPT OF XYZ. I TOLD HIM MY NAME AND THAT I WAS A CREW MEMBER. WHEN HE ASKED AGAIN IF I WAS THE CAPT, I ASKED HIM TO IDENT HIMSELF. HE REFUSED AND ASKED ME AGAIN. I REFUSED UNTIL HE IDENTED HIMSELF. HE TOLD ME HE WAS MR F WITH THE FAA IN SAN ANTONIO. I ASKED WHAT THE NATURE OF HIS INQUIRY WAS. HE REFUSED TO TELL ME. I ASKED HIM TO HOLD, AND I CALLED MY DO ON ANOTHER PHONE. HE INSTRUCTED ME TO GET MR F A PHONE NUMBER. I DID THIS AND HAD MY FO GIVE HIM A CALL.
Data retrieved from NASA's ASRS site as of July 2007 and automatically converted to unabbreviated mixed upper/lowercase text. This report is for informational purposes with no guarantee of accuracy. See NASA's ASRS site for official report.