|37000 Feet||Browse and search NASA's
Aviation Safety Reporting System
|Local Time Of Day||1201 To 1800|
|Locale Reference||atc facility : rbv|
|Altitude||msl bound lower : 5200|
msl bound upper : 7000
|Controlling Facilities||tracon : wri|
|Operator||general aviation : personal|
|Make Model Name||Small Aircraft, Low Wing, 1 Eng, Fixed Gear|
|Flight Phase||cruise other|
|Function||flight crew : single pilot|
|Qualification||pilot : private|
|Experience||flight time last 90 days : 45|
flight time total : 140
|Affiliation||government : faa|
|Function||controller : approach|
|Qualification||controller : radar|
|Anomaly||inflight encounter : vfr in imc|
non adherence : far
non adherence : clearance
|Independent Detector||other controllera|
other flight crewa
|Resolutory Action||none taken : anomaly accepted|
|Primary Problem||Flight Crew Human Performance|
|Air Traffic Incident||Pilot Deviation|
Aircraft proceeding northeast to morristown VFR at 9500' receiving advisories from ZDC. Advised center we were descending to 3500'. Center terminated flight following and suggested mc guire approach. We established contact with mc guire as we started descent through a broken layer with tops at approximately 7000'. Mc guire told us to stop descent at 5500' for traffic. At that point we were descending through a large hole in otherwise overcast conditions (forecast and last phl sequence report were scattered to broken layer). We could not stop descent west/O entering IMC until we were below the base of clouds at 5200'. As a low time VFR pilot, I believed lesser evil was to descend below altitude limitation rather than enter IMC and risk loss of control. The problem arose because of several conditions: 1) I chose a poor place to initiate descent. Conditions throughout the area were generally scattered, but in the area of my descent were tightly broken. 2) center would not or could not hand me off to mc guire approach when I started descent. By the time contact was established with mc guire and I was given an altitude restriction, I could not level off nor climb west/O entering IMC.
Original NASA ASRS Text
Title: DESCENT INTO IMC ON VFR FLT.
Narrative: ACFT PROCEEDING NE TO MORRISTOWN VFR AT 9500' RECEIVING ADVISORIES FROM ZDC. ADVISED CENTER WE WERE DSNDING TO 3500'. CENTER TERMINATED FLT FOLLOWING AND SUGGESTED MC GUIRE APCH. WE ESTABLISHED CONTACT WITH MC GUIRE AS WE STARTED DSCNT THROUGH A BROKEN LAYER WITH TOPS AT APPROX 7000'. MC GUIRE TOLD US TO STOP DSCNT AT 5500' FOR TFC. AT THAT POINT WE WERE DSNDING THROUGH A LARGE HOLE IN OTHERWISE OVCST CONDITIONS (FORECAST AND LAST PHL SEQUENCE RPT WERE SCATTERED TO BROKEN LAYER). WE COULD NOT STOP DSCNT W/O ENTERING IMC UNTIL WE WERE BELOW THE BASE OF CLOUDS AT 5200'. AS A LOW TIME VFR PLT, I BELIEVED LESSER EVIL WAS TO DSND BELOW ALT LIMITATION RATHER THAN ENTER IMC AND RISK LOSS OF CONTROL. THE PROB AROSE BECAUSE OF SEVERAL CONDITIONS: 1) I CHOSE A POOR PLACE TO INITIATE DSCNT. CONDITIONS THROUGHOUT THE AREA WERE GENERALLY SCATTERED, BUT IN THE AREA OF MY DSCNT WERE TIGHTLY BROKEN. 2) CENTER WOULD NOT OR COULD NOT HAND ME OFF TO MC GUIRE APCH WHEN I STARTED DSCNT. BY THE TIME CONTACT WAS ESTABLISHED WITH MC GUIRE AND I WAS GIVEN AN ALT RESTRICTION, I COULD NOT LEVEL OFF NOR CLB W/O ENTERING IMC.
Data retrieved from NASA's ASRS site as of August 2007 and automatically converted to unabbreviated mixed upper/lowercase text. This report is for informational purposes with no guarantee of accuracy. See NASA's ASRS site for official report.