|37000 Feet||Browse and search NASA's
Aviation Safety Reporting System
|Local Time Of Day||1201 To 1800|
|Locale Reference||airport : i15|
|Altitude||agl bound lower : 0|
agl bound upper : 0
|Operator||general aviation : personal|
|Make Model Name||Small Aircraft, Low Wing, 1 Eng, Retractable Gear|
|Flight Phase||landing other|
|Function||flight crew : single pilot|
|Qualification||pilot : instrument|
pilot : cfi
|Experience||flight time last 90 days : 40|
flight time total : 1385
flight time type : 395
|Anomaly||other anomaly other|
|Independent Detector||other flight crewa|
|Resolutory Action||none taken : unable|
|Primary Problem||Flight Crew Human Performance|
|Air Traffic Incident||Pilot Deviation|
Later the sdf approach to runway 28, winds out of the west, spotted the runway 1 1/2 from end of runway, could plainly see a large hangar at other end of runway (5019'), therefore established visibility to be 2 1/2 mi, made normal approach, when we touched down on runway had 2500' left. During landing roll applied the breaks and got no response, continued pumping brakes to no avail, went off the end of runway (nose wheel was on the center line entire time). Came to rest approximately 80' from end of runway. When left main gear hit a ditch it folded under the wing. Minimal damage to left main gear and left wing. Contributing factor was probably the amount of water on the runway. In landing, I had touched down same place before, many times--so I didn't think there was any problems until I couldn't get any braking action. I decided to stay on the ground and not try and go around because of high power lines on this end of runway. I feel confident I made the right decision in not attempting a go around. I committed too much time in trying to get braking action. In retrospect, if the same circumstances happen again, I will not try to brake, so long, after realizing no braking I would immediately go around. Also if raining, or after raining, I will try to utilize the entire length of the runway available, if this is not possible because of the approach, I would do a missed approach or circle to land. Right now I feel it was caused by hydroplaning and not a mechanical problem with the brakes.
Original NASA ASRS Text
Title: GA SMA LANDED LONG AND HAD A RWY EXCURSION OFF THE END OF THE RWY. GEAR COLLAPSED CROSSING A DITCH CAUSING ACFT DAMAGE.
Narrative: LATER THE SDF APCH TO RWY 28, WINDS OUT OF THE W, SPOTTED THE RWY 1 1/2 FROM END OF RWY, COULD PLAINLY SEE A LARGE HANGAR AT OTHER END OF RWY (5019'), THEREFORE ESTABLISHED VIS TO BE 2 1/2 MI, MADE NORMAL APCH, WHEN WE TOUCHED DOWN ON RWY HAD 2500' LEFT. DURING LNDG ROLL APPLIED THE BREAKS AND GOT NO RESPONSE, CONTINUED PUMPING BRAKES TO NO AVAIL, WENT OFF THE END OF RWY (NOSE WHEEL WAS ON THE CENTER LINE ENTIRE TIME). CAME TO REST APPROX 80' FROM END OF RWY. WHEN LEFT MAIN GEAR HIT A DITCH IT FOLDED UNDER THE WING. MINIMAL DAMAGE TO LEFT MAIN GEAR AND LEFT WING. CONTRIBUTING FACTOR WAS PROBABLY THE AMOUNT OF WATER ON THE RWY. IN LNDG, I HAD TOUCHED DOWN SAME PLACE BEFORE, MANY TIMES--SO I DIDN'T THINK THERE WAS ANY PROBS UNTIL I COULDN'T GET ANY BRAKING ACTION. I DECIDED TO STAY ON THE GND AND NOT TRY AND GO AROUND BECAUSE OF HIGH PWR LINES ON THIS END OF RWY. I FEEL CONFIDENT I MADE THE RIGHT DECISION IN NOT ATTEMPTING A GO AROUND. I COMMITTED TOO MUCH TIME IN TRYING TO GET BRAKING ACTION. IN RETROSPECT, IF THE SAME CIRCUMSTANCES HAPPEN AGAIN, I WILL NOT TRY TO BRAKE, SO LONG, AFTER REALIZING NO BRAKING I WOULD IMMEDIATELY GO AROUND. ALSO IF RAINING, OR AFTER RAINING, I WILL TRY TO UTILIZE THE ENTIRE LENGTH OF THE RWY AVAILABLE, IF THIS IS NOT POSSIBLE BECAUSE OF THE APCH, I WOULD DO A MISSED APCH OR CIRCLE TO LAND. RIGHT NOW I FEEL IT WAS CAUSED BY HYDROPLANING AND NOT A MECHANICAL PROB WITH THE BRAKES.
Data retrieved from NASA's ASRS site as of August 2007 and automatically converted to unabbreviated mixed upper/lowercase text. This report is for informational purposes with no guarantee of accuracy. See NASA's ASRS site for official report.