|37000 Feet||Browse and search NASA's
Aviation Safety Reporting System
|Local Time Of Day||1801 To 2400|
|Locale Reference||airport : jfk|
|Altitude||agl bound lower : 0|
agl bound upper : 0
|Controlling Facilities||tracon : n90|
|Operator||general aviation : corporate|
|Make Model Name||Medium Transport|
|Flight Phase||descent : approach|
|Function||flight crew : captain|
oversight : pic
|Qualification||pilot : atp|
|Experience||flight time last 90 days : 100|
flight time total : 12000
flight time type : 2000
|Affiliation||government : faa|
|Function||controller : approach|
|Qualification||controller : radar|
|Anomaly||other anomaly other|
|Independent Detector||other flight crewa|
|Resolutory Action||controller : issued new clearance|
|Air Traffic Incident||other|
|ATC Facility||procedure or policy : unspecified|
While executing the metropolitan arrival to teb, IFR, though ground conditions were VFR, we were given a hold at yardley when we were already 2 or 3 mi north of the VOR. The time was XA40 and we were given an efc time of XA55 local. XA55 came and went and so we asked for and received a new efc time of XB10. We also asked what the problem at teb was and were told that teb was simply saturated. At my request the sjc explained to approach that we had a helicopter waiting at teb to take our passenger to jfk so if we couldn't get into teb could we get into jfk. We were immediately cleared direct to robbinsville and then the VOR circling into runway 13. Though our handling, specifically the hold at yardley, left a little to be desired, I understand how busy the ny area is this time of year. My problem is figuring out if I was in violation of the far's with regard to not having a reservation at jfk. I made the statement to ny approach that I didn't wish to break the far's, but they were too busy to discuss the fine points of VFR or IFR, etc. Could you clarify this for me?
Original NASA ASRS Text
Title: CPR MDT WITHOUT A RESERVATION ASKS PERMISSION TO DIVERT FROM TEB TO JFK.
Narrative: WHILE EXECUTING THE METRO ARR TO TEB, IFR, THOUGH GND CONDITIONS WERE VFR, WE WERE GIVEN A HOLD AT YARDLEY WHEN WE WERE ALREADY 2 OR 3 MI N OF THE VOR. THE TIME WAS XA40 AND WE WERE GIVEN AN EFC TIME OF XA55 LCL. XA55 CAME AND WENT AND SO WE ASKED FOR AND RECEIVED A NEW EFC TIME OF XB10. WE ALSO ASKED WHAT THE PROB AT TEB WAS AND WERE TOLD THAT TEB WAS SIMPLY SATURATED. AT MY REQUEST THE SJC EXPLAINED TO APCH THAT WE HAD A HELI WAITING AT TEB TO TAKE OUR PAX TO JFK SO IF WE COULDN'T GET INTO TEB COULD WE GET INTO JFK. WE WERE IMMEDIATELY CLRED DIRECT TO ROBBINSVILLE AND THEN THE VOR CIRCLING INTO RWY 13. THOUGH OUR HANDLING, SPECIFICALLY THE HOLD AT YARDLEY, LEFT A LITTLE TO BE DESIRED, I UNDERSTAND HOW BUSY THE NY AREA IS THIS TIME OF YEAR. MY PROB IS FIGURING OUT IF I WAS IN VIOLATION OF THE FAR'S WITH REGARD TO NOT HAVING A RESERVATION AT JFK. I MADE THE STATEMENT TO NY APCH THAT I DIDN'T WISH TO BREAK THE FAR'S, BUT THEY WERE TOO BUSY TO DISCUSS THE FINE POINTS OF VFR OR IFR, ETC. COULD YOU CLARIFY THIS FOR ME?
Data retrieved from NASA's ASRS site as of August 2007 and automatically converted to unabbreviated mixed upper/lowercase text. This report is for informational purposes with no guarantee of accuracy. See NASA's ASRS site for official report.