|37000 Feet||Browse and search NASA's
Aviation Safety Reporting System
|Local Time Of Day||0601 To 1200|
|Locale Reference||atc facility : pih|
|Altitude||msl bound lower : 5700|
msl bound upper : 8000
|Controlling Facilities||artcc : zlc|
|Operator||general aviation : instructional|
|Make Model Name||Small Aircraft, High Wing, 1 Eng, Fixed Gear|
|Flight Phase||cruise other|
|Route In Use||enroute : on vectors|
|Function||instruction : instructor|
|Qualification||pilot : cfi|
pilot : instrument
pilot : commercial
|Experience||flight time last 90 days : 100|
flight time total : 1070
flight time type : 500
|Function||controller : radar|
|Qualification||controller : radar|
|Anomaly||inflight encounter : vfr in imc|
|Independent Detector||other flight crewa|
|Resolutory Action||controller : issued new clearance|
flight crew : regained aircraft control
flight crew : declared emergency
|Primary Problem||Flight Crew Human Performance|
Northbound on V21 IFR training flight in IFR conditions cleared for pocatello ILS runway 21 approach. After crossing pocatello VOR turned right to track apr to IAF tyhee. Incorrect reading on dg, we were not able to identify LOM. Left turn back to pocatello VOR and advised slc center. Center cleared us to hold. Southwest pocatello VOR R-235 left turns. 8000' asked slc center for clearance to burley via V-269 climb to VFR and we would cancel IFR upon reaching VFR conditions. Slc center cleared us as we asked, climb 10000'. As we started to climb, flew into heavy freezing rain. Lost airspeed and also could not climb. Advised center we had ice and could not climb. Turned on pitot heat, regained airspeed. I believed at that time center asked us if we would like to shoot the approach at pocatello ILS runway 21 again. At that time an airline captain advised he had VFR conditions below him. Center asked us if we wanted to shoot pocatello ILS 21 approach or radar vectors to VFR conditions as advised by the airline captain. We elected to take radar vectors to VFR conditions because of the ice. Not being able to maintain altitude we declared an emergency. Not finding VFR conditions we had several different readings assigned. We asked for radar vector to the lowest terrain. Altitude dropped as low as 5700' MSL. At that point we had some ice melt and we were able to climb to 6100'. Slc center said he had called blackfoot, a VFR airport, said ground personnel reported 500' ceiling 1 1/2 mi visibility. Could give us radar vector over the airport or we could have radar vector to idaho falls localizer back course approach runway 2. We took localizer back course runway 2 idaho falls, landed idaho falls runway 2. The problems that caused the situation: inadequate preflight in regards to WX, icing, briefing and planning. Should have flown the pocatello approach again, should have filed an alternate airport on file plan, should have executed a 180 degree turn once ice started to develop. Should have followed the WX situation better en route and at the destination airport.
Original NASA ASRS Text
Title: GA SMA ENCOUNTERED ICING WHILE FLYING AN IFR TRAINING FLT AND HAD TO REQUEST RADAR VECTORS TO VFR CONDITIONS.
Narrative: NBOUND ON V21 IFR TRNING FLT IN IFR CONDITIONS CLRED FOR POCATELLO ILS RWY 21 APCH. AFTER XING POCATELLO VOR TURNED RIGHT TO TRACK APR TO IAF TYHEE. INCORRECT READING ON DG, WE WERE NOT ABLE TO IDENT LOM. LEFT TURN BACK TO POCATELLO VOR AND ADVISED SLC CENTER. CENTER CLRED US TO HOLD. SW POCATELLO VOR R-235 LEFT TURNS. 8000' ASKED SLC CENTER FOR CLRNC TO BURLEY VIA V-269 CLB TO VFR AND WE WOULD CANCEL IFR UPON REACHING VFR CONDITIONS. SLC CENTER CLRED US AS WE ASKED, CLB 10000'. AS WE STARTED TO CLB, FLEW INTO HEAVY FREEZING RAIN. LOST AIRSPD AND ALSO COULD NOT CLB. ADVISED CENTER WE HAD ICE AND COULD NOT CLB. TURNED ON PITOT HEAT, REGAINED AIRSPD. I BELIEVED AT THAT TIME CENTER ASKED US IF WE WOULD LIKE TO SHOOT THE APCH AT POCATELLO ILS RWY 21 AGAIN. AT THAT TIME AN AIRLINE CAPT ADVISED HE HAD VFR CONDITIONS BELOW HIM. CENTER ASKED US IF WE WANTED TO SHOOT POCATELLO ILS 21 APCH OR RADAR VECTORS TO VFR CONDITIONS AS ADVISED BY THE AIRLINE CAPT. WE ELECTED TO TAKE RADAR VECTORS TO VFR CONDITIONS BECAUSE OF THE ICE. NOT BEING ABLE TO MAINTAIN ALT WE DECLARED AN EMER. NOT FINDING VFR CONDITIONS WE HAD SEVERAL DIFFERENT READINGS ASSIGNED. WE ASKED FOR RADAR VECTOR TO THE LOWEST TERRAIN. ALT DROPPED AS LOW AS 5700' MSL. AT THAT POINT WE HAD SOME ICE MELT AND WE WERE ABLE TO CLB TO 6100'. SLC CENTER SAID HE HAD CALLED BLACKFOOT, A VFR ARPT, SAID GND PERSONNEL RPTED 500' CEILING 1 1/2 MI VIS. COULD GIVE US RADAR VECTOR OVER THE ARPT OR WE COULD HAVE RADAR VECTOR TO IDAHO FALLS LOC BC APCH RWY 2. WE TOOK LOC BC RWY 2 IDAHO FALLS, LANDED IDAHO FALLS RWY 2. THE PROBS THAT CAUSED THE SITUATION: INADEQUATE PREFLT IN REGARDS TO WX, ICING, BRIEFING AND PLANNING. SHOULD HAVE FLOWN THE POCATELLO APCH AGAIN, SHOULD HAVE FILED AN ALTERNATE ARPT ON FILE PLAN, SHOULD HAVE EXECUTED A 180 DEG TURN ONCE ICE STARTED TO DEVELOP. SHOULD HAVE FOLLOWED THE WX SITUATION BETTER ENRTE AND AT THE DEST ARPT.
Data retrieved from NASA's ASRS site as of August 2007 and automatically converted to unabbreviated mixed upper/lowercase text. This report is for informational purposes with no guarantee of accuracy. See NASA's ASRS site for official report.