|37000 Feet||Browse and search NASA's
Aviation Safety Reporting System
|Local Time Of Day||1201 To 1800|
|Locale Reference||airport : jln|
|Altitude||agl bound lower : 900|
agl bound upper : 1300
|Controlling Facilities||tower : jln|
|Operator||common carrier : air carrier|
|Make Model Name||Small Transport, Low Wing, 2 Turboprop Eng|
|Flight Phase||climbout : initial|
climbout : intermediate altitude
ground : preflight
|Affiliation||company : air carrier|
|Function||flight crew : captain|
oversight : pic
|Qualification||pilot : atp|
|Experience||flight time last 90 days : 190|
flight time total : 6050
flight time type : 2100
|Function||controller : local|
|Qualification||controller : non radar|
|Anomaly||aircraft equipment problem : critical|
other anomaly other
|Independent Detector||other flight crewa|
|Resolutory Action||flight crew : declared emergency|
none taken : unable
|Air Traffic Incident||other|
Had ATC delay until XB18. About XA30 heavy wet snow began falling, with 20 mph winds and gusting. Aircraft icing pretty fast, snow sticking almost immediately to aircraft. At about XA45 tried to deice aircraft with the intention of then boarding and then deicing again after boarding. Deicing was ineffective, refroze almost immediately. Held flight. Approximately XC00 the WX was getting better, snow now light and not so wet. Boarded approximately XC20 and deiced with people onboard. Deice was done by our people as well as local FBO using 2 machines. I made personal walkaround after deicing and everything appeared good--no ice on aircraft, deicing fluid holding up well. Start and taxi normal. WX was calling it W0X 1/4 south F, but we could see the trees at the far end of the runway before takeoff. Takeoff run runway 31 normal, airspds crosschecked ok. During climb out, captain's airspeed not increasing above 120K, first officer's normal to about 180K. Captain's altimeter frozen at 1000'. At about 2000' on first officer's altimeter we were about to go into overcast. I decided to maintain visual contact with the ground if possible and return to jln. Told center, they sent us back to tower. Told them we were coming back with captain's pitot static system inoperative and would maintain ground contact. Tower cleared us to land any runway. Told them we would go to 31. Tower cleared us to maneuver as necessary, no traffic in the area, cleared to land any runway. I made a left turn back toward the airport, maintaining ground contact at between 1800 and 2200' MSL. Using the ADF and localizer, I maneuvered to intercept the localizer inside the ADF. Overshot the localizer but the copilot saw the airport beacon off to the right, then the strobes at the end of the runway. I maneuvered with his directions, maintaining visual contact with the ground. We entered a right base to 31, but were too tight to make a safe approach. Told tower we had the airport, were on right base but too tight and were going to cross final and make a left 270 degree turn to final. Tower again cleared us to land, we made the left 270 and called 1-1 1/2 mi final. Approach and landing normal from that point. Visibility during entire maneuver was at least 2 mi at all times, at some points up to approximately 5 mi. Major considerations taken into account were prior experience in an small transport with both left and right pitot static systems gone, the good possibility of losing the coplts system as well, since it had been exposed to the same deicing and WX on the ground. I was also aware of an small transport that had taken off after maintenance on the static systems and had tape on all static ports. The WX was 200' and a 1/2 mi and he had to determine altitude with the help of approach controls radar at a specific point on the G/south. The only radar at jln is center radar and it can't see below about 4000'. I also considered that the same sudden snow storm that had affected jln could hit my alternates about the time I would arrive, as well as the fact that if I should loose visual contact with the ground I could still climb and head for the best alternate. Subsequent inspection and maintenance revealed that there was water in both of the captain's static ports and also in one of the copilot's static ports. This model small transport seems to have a problem with water in the static ports. There is no way to drain them short of breaking the integrity of the system.
Original NASA ASRS Text
Title: AFTER DEICING ACR SMT HAD WATER IN STATIC SYSTEM THAT MADE CAPT'S AIRSPEED INOPERATIVE.
Narrative: HAD ATC DELAY UNTIL XB18. ABOUT XA30 HEAVY WET SNOW BEGAN FALLING, WITH 20 MPH WINDS AND GUSTING. ACFT ICING PRETTY FAST, SNOW STICKING ALMOST IMMEDIATELY TO ACFT. AT ABOUT XA45 TRIED TO DEICE ACFT WITH THE INTENTION OF THEN BOARDING AND THEN DEICING AGAIN AFTER BOARDING. DEICING WAS INEFFECTIVE, REFROZE ALMOST IMMEDIATELY. HELD FLT. APPROX XC00 THE WX WAS GETTING BETTER, SNOW NOW LIGHT AND NOT SO WET. BOARDED APPROX XC20 AND DEICED WITH PEOPLE ONBOARD. DEICE WAS DONE BY OUR PEOPLE AS WELL AS LCL FBO USING 2 MACHINES. I MADE PERSONAL WALKAROUND AFTER DEICING AND EVERYTHING APPEARED GOOD--NO ICE ON ACFT, DEICING FLUID HOLDING UP WELL. START AND TAXI NORMAL. WX WAS CALLING IT W0X 1/4 S F, BUT WE COULD SEE THE TREES AT THE FAR END OF THE RWY BEFORE TKOF. TKOF RUN RWY 31 NORMAL, AIRSPDS XCHKED OK. DURING CLBOUT, CAPT'S AIRSPD NOT INCREASING ABOVE 120K, F/O'S NORMAL TO ABOUT 180K. CAPT'S ALTIMETER FROZEN AT 1000'. AT ABOUT 2000' ON F/O'S ALTIMETER WE WERE ABOUT TO GO INTO OVCST. I DECIDED TO MAINTAIN VISUAL CONTACT WITH THE GND IF POSSIBLE AND RETURN TO JLN. TOLD CENTER, THEY SENT US BACK TO TWR. TOLD THEM WE WERE COMING BACK WITH CAPT'S PITOT STATIC SYS INOP AND WOULD MAINTAIN GND CONTACT. TWR CLRED US TO LAND ANY RWY. TOLD THEM WE WOULD GO TO 31. TWR CLRED US TO MANEUVER AS NECESSARY, NO TFC IN THE AREA, CLRED TO LAND ANY RWY. I MADE A LEFT TURN BACK TOWARD THE ARPT, MAINTAINING GND CONTACT AT BTWN 1800 AND 2200' MSL. USING THE ADF AND LOC, I MANEUVERED TO INTERCEPT THE LOC INSIDE THE ADF. OVERSHOT THE LOC BUT THE COPLT SAW THE ARPT BEACON OFF TO THE RIGHT, THEN THE STROBES AT THE END OF THE RWY. I MANEUVERED WITH HIS DIRECTIONS, MAINTAINING VISUAL CONTACT WITH THE GND. WE ENTERED A RIGHT BASE TO 31, BUT WERE TOO TIGHT TO MAKE A SAFE APCH. TOLD TWR WE HAD THE ARPT, WERE ON RIGHT BASE BUT TOO TIGHT AND WERE GOING TO CROSS FINAL AND MAKE A LEFT 270 DEG TURN TO FINAL. TWR AGAIN CLRED US TO LAND, WE MADE THE LEFT 270 AND CALLED 1-1 1/2 MI FINAL. APCH AND LNDG NORMAL FROM THAT POINT. VIS DURING ENTIRE MANEUVER WAS AT LEAST 2 MI AT ALL TIMES, AT SOME POINTS UP TO APPROX 5 MI. MAJOR CONSIDERATIONS TAKEN INTO ACCOUNT WERE PRIOR EXPERIENCE IN AN SMT WITH BOTH LEFT AND RIGHT PITOT STATIC SYSTEMS GONE, THE GOOD POSSIBILITY OF LOSING THE COPLTS SYS AS WELL, SINCE IT HAD BEEN EXPOSED TO THE SAME DEICING AND WX ON THE GND. I WAS ALSO AWARE OF AN SMT THAT HAD TAKEN OFF AFTER MAINT ON THE STATIC SYSTEMS AND HAD TAPE ON ALL STATIC PORTS. THE WX WAS 200' AND A 1/2 MI AND HE HAD TO DETERMINE ALT WITH THE HELP OF APCH CTLS RADAR AT A SPECIFIC POINT ON THE G/S. THE ONLY RADAR AT JLN IS CENTER RADAR AND IT CAN'T SEE BELOW ABOUT 4000'. I ALSO CONSIDERED THAT THE SAME SUDDEN SNOW STORM THAT HAD AFFECTED JLN COULD HIT MY ALTERNATES ABOUT THE TIME I WOULD ARRIVE, AS WELL AS THE FACT THAT IF I SHOULD LOOSE VISUAL CONTACT WITH THE GND I COULD STILL CLB AND HEAD FOR THE BEST ALTERNATE. SUBSEQUENT INSPECTION AND MAINT REVEALED THAT THERE WAS WATER IN BOTH OF THE CAPT'S STATIC PORTS AND ALSO IN ONE OF THE COPLT'S STATIC PORTS. THIS MODEL SMT SEEMS TO HAVE A PROB WITH WATER IN THE STATIC PORTS. THERE IS NO WAY TO DRAIN THEM SHORT OF BREAKING THE INTEGRITY OF THE SYS.
Data retrieved from NASA's ASRS site as of August 2007 and automatically converted to unabbreviated mixed upper/lowercase text. This report is for informational purposes with no guarantee of accuracy. See NASA's ASRS site for official report.