|37000 Feet||Browse and search NASA's
Aviation Safety Reporting System
|Local Time Of Day||1801 To 2400|
|Locale Reference||airport : zzz.airport|
|Altitude||msl single value : 27000|
|Controlling Facilities||artcc : zzz.artcc|
tower : mia.tower
|Operator||common carrier : air carrier|
|Make Model Name||B767-300 and 300 ER|
|Operating Under FAR Part||Part 121|
|Flight Phase||climbout : intermediate altitude|
|Affiliation||company : air carrier|
|Function||flight crew : captain|
oversight : pic
|Experience||flight time last 90 days : 200|
flight time total : 22000
flight time type : 7000
|Affiliation||company : air carrier|
|Function||flight crew : first officer|
|Experience||flight time last 90 days : 220|
flight time total : 11000
flight time type : 2900
|Anomaly||aircraft equipment problem : critical|
|Independent Detector||other flight crewa|
other flight crewb
|Resolutory Action||flight crew : exited adverse environment|
flight crew : landed as precaution
flight crew : diverted to another airport
During climb out on departure from ZZZ; a flight attendant called from the aft interphone position to report a hissing noise audible in the back half of the airplane. Shortly thereafter we received a bleed ovht light on the overhead panel accompanied by a right bleed ovht EICAS. The right bleed valve closed and the right engine anti-ice valve light on the overhead panel illuminated. The right pack off light also illuminated in conjunction with the bleed valve closing. The captain was flying and directed the first officer to run the checklist while he took over the radios and the flying. The captain requested a leveloff at the altitude we were climbing through which was about FL270 with ATC while we figured out what the status of our flight was going to be. We were nearing exiting the coastline and informed ATC that we may not be entering the channel. The checklist ended up leaving us with a closed right bleed valve. We were able to clear the bleed ovht situation; but the right engine anti-ice valve light was illuminated. The captain's initial assessment was that we would not be able to continue and the crew agreed. The non flying first officer was monitoring our actions and using clear; inquired as to whether or not we had appropriately applied the checklist. We reviewed our actions and concluded we had properly used the procedure. The captain wanted to confer with dispatch and maintenance and assigned the flying and radios to the first officer while he used satcom to establish contact with dispatch and maintenance in a 3-WAY call. Satcom was intermittent which added to the difficulty level; but communication was finally established. The first officer suggested to the captain that we needed to descend out of icing conditions due to the engine anti-ice valve situation and he concurred. The flight was cleared to descend to FL190 and was able to exit icing conditions. Maintenance requested we cycle a circuit breaker to reset the bleed valve. The captain cleared this action with the crew and after discussion we agreed to do as maintenance requested. All indications appeared normal and we initiated a climb back to our cruise altitude. Shortly after climb thrust was obtained; we received the identical cockpit indications as before with the right bleed ovht situation. We then decided that we would have to return to ZZZ. ATC provided vectors initially while we continued to work the problem and eventually gave us holding at the VOR. Our holding speed reduced the tat below 10 degrees C and we once again found ourselves in icing conditions. We descended to 15000 ft. We were analyzing our overweight landing situation. After conference with maintenance and dispatch it was decided to land overweight. After further investigation; we discovered that our target speed was within 4 KTS of the flaps 30 speed minus 10. The wind at ZZZ was reported at 9 KTS gusting to 16 KTS. The fom guidance and crew discussion led us to decide to dump fuel to reduce our weight and decrease our target speed to an acceptable level. After concurrence from maintenance and dispatch we coordinated a fuel dump of approximately 34000 pounds (all of the center tank fuel) with ATC at an altitude of 15000 ft. We computed our landing distance requirements from the flight manual and elected to land on runway xx. The captain briefed the flight attendants of the situation and we rechked our actions to this point. The captain resumed flying and we proceeded to have a smooth landing in ZZZ for a total flight time of 2:40 block to block.
Original NASA ASRS Text
Title: B767-300 EXPERIENCED A BLEED OVERHEAT DURING CLIMBOUT. AFTER TROUBLESHOOTING; THE DECISION WAS MADE TO RETURN TO DEP ARPT AND DUMP FUEL PRIOR TO LNDG.
Narrative: DURING CLBOUT ON DEP FROM ZZZ; A FLT ATTENDANT CALLED FROM THE AFT INTERPHONE POS TO RPT A HISSING NOISE AUDIBLE IN THE BACK HALF OF THE AIRPLANE. SHORTLY THEREAFTER WE RECEIVED A BLEED OVHT LIGHT ON THE OVERHEAD PANEL ACCOMPANIED BY A R BLEED OVHT EICAS. THE R BLEED VALVE CLOSED AND THE R ENG ANTI-ICE VALVE LIGHT ON THE OVERHEAD PANEL ILLUMINATED. THE R PACK OFF LIGHT ALSO ILLUMINATED IN CONJUNCTION WITH THE BLEED VALVE CLOSING. THE CAPT WAS FLYING AND DIRECTED THE FO TO RUN THE CHKLIST WHILE HE TOOK OVER THE RADIOS AND THE FLYING. THE CAPT REQUESTED A LEVELOFF AT THE ALT WE WERE CLBING THROUGH WHICH WAS ABOUT FL270 WITH ATC WHILE WE FIGURED OUT WHAT THE STATUS OF OUR FLT WAS GOING TO BE. WE WERE NEARING EXITING THE COASTLINE AND INFORMED ATC THAT WE MAY NOT BE ENTERING THE CHANNEL. THE CHKLIST ENDED UP LEAVING US WITH A CLOSED R BLEED VALVE. WE WERE ABLE TO CLR THE BLEED OVHT SITUATION; BUT THE R ENG ANTI-ICE VALVE LIGHT WAS ILLUMINATED. THE CAPT'S INITIAL ASSESSMENT WAS THAT WE WOULD NOT BE ABLE TO CONTINUE AND THE CREW AGREED. THE NON FLYING FO WAS MONITORING OUR ACTIONS AND USING CLR; INQUIRED AS TO WHETHER OR NOT WE HAD APPROPRIATELY APPLIED THE CHKLIST. WE REVIEWED OUR ACTIONS AND CONCLUDED WE HAD PROPERLY USED THE PROC. THE CAPT WANTED TO CONFER WITH DISPATCH AND MAINT AND ASSIGNED THE FLYING AND RADIOS TO THE FO WHILE HE USED SATCOM TO ESTABLISH CONTACT WITH DISPATCH AND MAINT IN A 3-WAY CALL. SATCOM WAS INTERMITTENT WHICH ADDED TO THE DIFFICULTY LEVEL; BUT COM WAS FINALLY ESTABLISHED. THE FO SUGGESTED TO THE CAPT THAT WE NEEDED TO DSND OUT OF ICING CONDITIONS DUE TO THE ENG ANTI-ICE VALVE SITUATION AND HE CONCURRED. THE FLT WAS CLRED TO DSND TO FL190 AND WAS ABLE TO EXIT ICING CONDITIONS. MAINT REQUESTED WE CYCLE A CIRCUIT BREAKER TO RESET THE BLEED VALVE. THE CAPT CLRED THIS ACTION WITH THE CREW AND AFTER DISCUSSION WE AGREED TO DO AS MAINT REQUESTED. ALL INDICATIONS APPEARED NORMAL AND WE INITIATED A CLB BACK TO OUR CRUISE ALT. SHORTLY AFTER CLB THRUST WAS OBTAINED; WE RECEIVED THE IDENTICAL COCKPIT INDICATIONS AS BEFORE WITH THE R BLEED OVHT SITUATION. WE THEN DECIDED THAT WE WOULD HAVE TO RETURN TO ZZZ. ATC PROVIDED VECTORS INITIALLY WHILE WE CONTINUED TO WORK THE PROB AND EVENTUALLY GAVE US HOLDING AT THE VOR. OUR HOLDING SPD REDUCED THE TAT BELOW 10 DEGS C AND WE ONCE AGAIN FOUND OURSELVES IN ICING CONDITIONS. WE DSNDED TO 15000 FT. WE WERE ANALYZING OUR OVERWT LNDG SITUATION. AFTER CONFERENCE WITH MAINT AND DISPATCH IT WAS DECIDED TO LAND OVERWT. AFTER FURTHER INVESTIGATION; WE DISCOVERED THAT OUR TARGET SPD WAS WITHIN 4 KTS OF THE FLAPS 30 SPD MINUS 10. THE WIND AT ZZZ WAS RPTED AT 9 KTS GUSTING TO 16 KTS. THE FOM GUIDANCE AND CREW DISCUSSION LED US TO DECIDE TO DUMP FUEL TO REDUCE OUR WT AND DECREASE OUR TARGET SPD TO AN ACCEPTABLE LEVEL. AFTER CONCURRENCE FROM MAINT AND DISPATCH WE COORDINATED A FUEL DUMP OF APPROX 34000 LBS (ALL OF THE CTR TANK FUEL) WITH ATC AT AN ALT OF 15000 FT. WE COMPUTED OUR LNDG DISTANCE REQUIREMENTS FROM THE FLT MANUAL AND ELECTED TO LAND ON RWY XX. THE CAPT BRIEFED THE FLT ATTENDANTS OF THE SITUATION AND WE RECHKED OUR ACTIONS TO THIS POINT. THE CAPT RESUMED FLYING AND WE PROCEEDED TO HAVE A SMOOTH LNDG IN ZZZ FOR A TOTAL FLT TIME OF 2:40 BLOCK TO BLOCK.
Data retrieved from NASA's ASRS site as of January 2009 and automatically converted to unabbreviated mixed upper/lowercase text. This report is for informational purposes with no guarantee of accuracy. See NASA's ASRS site for official report.