|37000 Feet||Browse and search NASA's
Aviation Safety Reporting System
|Local Time Of Day||1801 To 2400|
|Locale Reference||airport : zzz.airport|
|Altitude||agl single value : 0|
|Operator||common carrier : air carrier|
|Make Model Name||B737-300|
|Operating Under FAR Part||Part 121|
|Flight Phase||ground : parked|
ground : taxi
|Affiliation||company : air carrier|
|Function||flight crew : first officer|
|Experience||flight time last 90 days : 240|
flight time total : 12500
flight time type : 5200
|Affiliation||company : air carrier|
|Function||flight crew : captain|
oversight : pic
|Anomaly||non adherence : company policies|
non adherence : far
|Independent Detector||other flight crewa|
|Resolutory Action||none taken : detected after the fact|
|Problem Areas||Passenger Human Performance|
Flight Crew Human Performance
|Primary Problem||Flight Crew Human Performance|
Pushed back initially on time from gate. Near blizzard condition prevailed at the time. We de-iced and headed for takeoff. Had to return to gate after approximately 40 mins due to failure of de-ice fluid on wings. Just prior to arrival back at the gate flight attendant called with medical emergency and indicated they were using supplemental oxygen on passenger that was feeling faint. We called for paramedics to meet the aircraft at the gate. Passenger deplaned with the paramedics and was feeling much better at that time. The blizzard continued and ground crews were working hard to keep the airport open. The captain and dispatch decided to delay the flight due to the intensity of snow and rapidly changing runway conditions that were difficult to assess. The captain and my attention was now directed toward the remaining passenger and customer service. We both yielded many questions; dealt with bag issues; etc; and tried our very best to keep the situation under control. After almost 5 hours and light snow falling now; the captain again decided to push back; de-ice and attempt to take off. This time takeoff was successfully accomplished and it wasn't until FL180 that I remembered the oxygen bottle write-up was never entered into ACARS. Both the captain and I had inadvertently forgotten to write it up. Upon reaching cruise altitude I sent the discrepancy to maintenance and the bottle was replaced in ZZZ.
Original NASA ASRS Text
Title: B737-300 DEPARTING MSP HAD PAX ILLNESS AND MULTIPLE WX DELAYS. FORGOT TO NOTIFY MAINT OF A USED OXYGEN BOTTLE WRITE-UP.
Narrative: PUSHED BACK INITIALLY ON TIME FROM GATE. NEAR BLIZZARD CONDITION PREVAILED AT THE TIME. WE DE-ICED AND HEADED FOR TKOF. HAD TO RETURN TO GATE AFTER APPROX 40 MINS DUE TO FAILURE OF DE-ICE FLUID ON WINGS. JUST PRIOR TO ARR BACK AT THE GATE FLT ATTENDANT CALLED WITH MEDICAL EMER AND INDICATED THEY WERE USING SUPPLEMENTAL OXYGEN ON PAX THAT WAS FEELING FAINT. WE CALLED FOR PARAMEDICS TO MEET THE ACFT AT THE GATE. PAX DEPLANED WITH THE PARAMEDICS AND WAS FEELING MUCH BETTER AT THAT TIME. THE BLIZZARD CONTINUED AND GND CREWS WERE WORKING HARD TO KEEP THE ARPT OPEN. THE CAPT AND DISPATCH DECIDED TO DELAY THE FLT DUE TO THE INTENSITY OF SNOW AND RAPIDLY CHANGING RWY CONDITIONS THAT WERE DIFFICULT TO ASSESS. THE CAPT AND MY ATTN WAS NOW DIRECTED TOWARD THE REMAINING PAX AND CUSTOMER SVC. WE BOTH YIELDED MANY QUESTIONS; DEALT WITH BAG ISSUES; ETC; AND TRIED OUR VERY BEST TO KEEP THE SIT UNDER CTL. AFTER ALMOST 5 HRS AND LIGHT SNOW FALLING NOW; THE CAPT AGAIN DECIDED TO PUSH BACK; DE-ICE AND ATTEMPT TO TAKE OFF. THIS TIME TKOF WAS SUCCESSFULLY ACCOMPLISHED AND IT WASN'T UNTIL FL180 THAT I REMEMBERED THE OXYGEN BOTTLE WRITE-UP WAS NEVER ENTERED INTO ACARS. BOTH THE CAPT AND I HAD INADVERTENTLY FORGOTTEN TO WRITE IT UP. UPON REACHING CRUISE ALT I SENT THE DISCREPANCY TO MAINT AND THE BOTTLE WAS REPLACED IN ZZZ.
Data retrieved from NASA's ASRS site as of January 2009 and automatically converted to unabbreviated mixed upper/lowercase text. This report is for informational purposes with no guarantee of accuracy. See NASA's ASRS site for official report.