|37000 Feet||Browse and search NASA's
Aviation Safety Reporting System
|Local Time Of Day||1201 To 1800|
|Locale Reference||airport : skbo.airport|
|Altitude||msl bound lower : 12000|
msl bound upper : 14800
|Operator||common carrier : air carrier|
|Make Model Name||B767 Undifferentiated or Other Model|
|Operating Under FAR Part||Part 121|
|Navigation In Use||other|
|Flight Phase||climbout : intermediate altitude|
|Affiliation||company : air carrier|
|Function||flight crew : first officer|
|Affiliation||company : air carrier|
|Function||flight crew : captain|
oversight : pic
|Anomaly||inflight encounter : weather|
non adherence : published procedure
non adherence : company policies
non adherence : far
|Independent Detector||aircraft equipment other aircraft equipment : egpws|
other flight crewa
other flight crewb
|Resolutory Action||flight crew : took evasive action|
Flight Crew Human Performance
Flight from bogota. Convective WX in the airport area. Guaymaral 5 departure from runway 13L. After extensive examination of the departure route with charts and WX radar, a combined crew decision was made to departure. The captain had terrain on his display, I had WX radar displayed on my side. A maximum power takeoff was made. Takeoff roll and initial climb was uneventful. At 800 ft AGL the aircraft was turned left (captain's leg) in accordance with the guaymaral SID. Upon rollout, at approximately 1500 ft AGL, the airplane encountered light cumulus clouds and precipitation. After a few seconds, we started to encounter moderate precipitation. I looked at the WX radar and saw that we had a large cell off the nose. From my look, I judged that the best course of action was to stay on course and get through the cell as quick as possible, knowing that mountainous terrain was in the area. After 10-15 seconds of heavy precipitation and light chop with very loud noise in the cockpit, an egpws visual ground proximity alert as well as visual 'pull up' light illuminated, along with the aural 'pull up, pull up' twice. Being in the WX, I informed the captain to pull up. While I waited a second for him to respond, I looked at the displays and noticed my radio altimeter coming alive and descending. As it settled at approximately 800 ft on the tape, I also noticed the baro altimeter slowing sweeping through 14800 ft. With no response from the captain, I pulled on the yoke to initiate a climb in accordance with the egpws procedures found in the maneuvers section of the QRH. It resulted in a disengagement of the autoplt and further, an initiation of the stick shaker. I honored the stick shaker and after 2 seconds the radio altimeter cleaned up and the aircraft came out of the cell. I noticed the airspeed got down to 180 KTS during the pull up. We never strayed from course, and the aircraft had always been on the magenta line. I relinquished control of the aircraft to the captain and then continued to assist him in deviating around remaining WX while remaining above safe altitudes. The remainder of the flight was uneventful. We later discussed what might have been done to avoid the incident. Delay departure was the top alternative. Upon review of the SID and our actions, I don't believe we came that close to hitting terrain. However, I questioned the software of the egpws in relation to precipitation and possibly the design of the SID. You never know if these countries flight check their procedures like our FAA folks. Supplemental information from acn 635784: we departed bogota on the guaymaral 5 departure. Captain was flying the departure. While proceeding northbound from romeo to zipaquira, we encountered very heavy rain. We were climbing at best angle of climb, which I remember was around 220. I believe that sometime after passing 12000 ft, the first officer had called out something about a terrain warning. Looking back now, I was not aware of this first call, and it may have contributed to a concern on hesitation. However, a second or two later, I became aware of either a caution or warning light on the center panel. We then both noticed that the first officer's radar altimeter jumped to an altitude readout of about 1000 ft. We smoothly raised the nose of the aircraft, but before we could start making any terrain closure callouts, the first officer's radar altimeter display went back to normal. As we lowered the nose of the aircraft for a smooth recovery, our altitude was between 14000 ft and 15000 ft and climbing. We were now in the clear and out of the rain. We appeared to still be on course. We were now at a safe altitude to deviation around WX that was further along our track. Bogota departure control gave us clearance to deviation west of course with a climb to a higher altitude. I believe the first officer mentioned something about stick shaker, but I don't recall letting the airspeed drop off that much. I think the lowest airspeed while recovering was about 180-190 KTS.
Original NASA ASRS Text
Title: A B767 CREW HAD AN EGPWS WARNING WHILE DEPARTING SKBO ON THE GUAYMARAL 5 SID. THE CREW WAS ENTERING HEAVY RAIN SHOWERS WHEN THE EGPWS WARNING SOUNDED.
Narrative: FLT FROM BOGOTA. CONVECTIVE WX IN THE ARPT AREA. GUAYMARAL 5 DEP FROM RWY 13L. AFTER EXTENSIVE EXAMINATION OF THE DEP RTE WITH CHARTS AND WX RADAR, A COMBINED CREW DECISION WAS MADE TO DEP. THE CAPT HAD TERRAIN ON HIS DISPLAY, I HAD WX RADAR DISPLAYED ON MY SIDE. A MAX POWER TKOF WAS MADE. TKOF ROLL AND INITIAL CLB WAS UNEVENTFUL. AT 800 FT AGL THE ACFT WAS TURNED LEFT (CAPT'S LEG) IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE GUAYMARAL SID. UPON ROLLOUT, AT APPROX 1500 FT AGL, THE AIRPLANE ENCOUNTERED LIGHT CUMULUS CLOUDS AND PRECIP. AFTER A FEW SECONDS, WE STARTED TO ENCOUNTER MODERATE PRECIP. I LOOKED AT THE WX RADAR AND SAW THAT WE HAD A LARGE CELL OFF THE NOSE. FROM MY LOOK, I JUDGED THAT THE BEST COURSE OF ACTION WAS TO STAY ON COURSE AND GET THROUGH THE CELL AS QUICK AS POSSIBLE, KNOWING THAT MOUNTAINOUS TERRAIN WAS IN THE AREA. AFTER 10-15 SECONDS OF HEAVY PRECIP AND LIGHT CHOP WITH VERY LOUD NOISE IN THE COCKPIT, AN EGPWS VISUAL GND PROX ALERT AS WELL AS VISUAL 'PULL UP' LIGHT ILLUMINATED, ALONG WITH THE AURAL 'PULL UP, PULL UP' TWICE. BEING IN THE WX, I INFORMED THE CAPT TO PULL UP. WHILE I WAITED A SECOND FOR HIM TO RESPOND, I LOOKED AT THE DISPLAYS AND NOTICED MY RADIO ALTIMETER COMING ALIVE AND DESCENDING. AS IT SETTLED AT APPROX 800 FT ON THE TAPE, I ALSO NOTICED THE BARO ALTIMETER SLOWING SWEEPING THROUGH 14800 FT. WITH NO RESPONSE FROM THE CAPT, I PULLED ON THE YOKE TO INITIATE A CLB IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE EGPWS PROCS FOUND IN THE MANEUVERS SECTION OF THE QRH. IT RESULTED IN A DISENGAGEMENT OF THE AUTOPLT AND FURTHER, AN INITIATION OF THE STICK SHAKER. I HONORED THE STICK SHAKER AND AFTER 2 SECONDS THE RADIO ALTIMETER CLEANED UP AND THE ACFT CAME OUT OF THE CELL. I NOTICED THE AIRSPEED GOT DOWN TO 180 KTS DURING THE PULL UP. WE NEVER STRAYED FROM COURSE, AND THE ACFT HAD ALWAYS BEEN ON THE MAGENTA LINE. I RELINQUISHED CTL OF THE ACFT TO THE CAPT AND THEN CONTINUED TO ASSIST HIM IN DEVIATING AROUND REMAINING WX WHILE REMAINING ABOVE SAFE ALTS. THE REMAINDER OF THE FLT WAS UNEVENTFUL. WE LATER DISCUSSED WHAT MIGHT HAVE BEEN DONE TO AVOID THE INCIDENT. DELAY DEP WAS THE TOP ALTERNATIVE. UPON REVIEW OF THE SID AND OUR ACTIONS, I DON'T BELIEVE WE CAME THAT CLOSE TO HITTING TERRAIN. HOWEVER, I QUESTIONED THE SOFTWARE OF THE EGPWS IN RELATION TO PRECIP AND POSSIBLY THE DESIGN OF THE SID. YOU NEVER KNOW IF THESE COUNTRIES FLT CHK THEIR PROCS LIKE OUR FAA FOLKS. SUPPLEMENTAL INFO FROM ACN 635784: WE DEPARTED BOGOTA ON THE GUAYMARAL 5 DEP. CAPT WAS FLYING THE DEP. WHILE PROCEEDING NORTHBOUND FROM ROMEO TO ZIPAQUIRA, WE ENCOUNTERED VERY HEAVY RAIN. WE WERE CLBING AT BEST ANGLE OF CLB, WHICH I REMEMBER WAS AROUND 220. I BELIEVE THAT SOMETIME AFTER PASSING 12000 FT, THE FO HAD CALLED OUT SOMETHING ABOUT A TERRAIN WARNING. LOOKING BACK NOW, I WAS NOT AWARE OF THIS FIRST CALL, AND IT MAY HAVE CONTRIBUTED TO A CONCERN ON HESITATION. HOWEVER, A SECOND OR TWO LATER, I BECAME AWARE OF EITHER A CAUTION OR WARNING LIGHT ON THE CENTER PANEL. WE THEN BOTH NOTICED THAT THE FO'S RADAR ALTIMETER JUMPED TO AN ALT READOUT OF ABOUT 1000 FT. WE SMOOTHLY RAISED THE NOSE OF THE ACFT, BUT BEFORE WE COULD START MAKING ANY TERRAIN CLOSURE CALLOUTS, THE FO'S RADAR ALTIMETER DISPLAY WENT BACK TO NORMAL. AS WE LOWERED THE NOSE OF THE ACFT FOR A SMOOTH RECOVERY, OUR ALT WAS BETWEEN 14000 FT AND 15000 FT AND CLBING. WE WERE NOW IN THE CLR AND OUT OF THE RAIN. WE APPEARED TO STILL BE ON COURSE. WE WERE NOW AT A SAFE ALT TO DEV AROUND WX THAT WAS FURTHER ALONG OUR TRACK. BOGOTA DEP CTL GAVE US CLRNC TO DEV W OF COURSE WITH A CLB TO A HIGHER ALT. I BELIEVE THE FO MENTIONED SOMETHING ABOUT STICK SHAKER, BUT I DON'T RECALL LETTING THE AIRSPEED DROP OFF THAT MUCH. I THINK THE LOWEST AIRSPEED WHILE RECOVERING WAS ABOUT 180-190 KTS.
Data retrieved from NASA's ASRS site as of July 2007 and automatically converted to unabbreviated mixed upper/lowercase text. This report is for informational purposes with no guarantee of accuracy. See NASA's ASRS site for official report.