|37000 Feet||Browse and search NASA's
Aviation Safety Reporting System
|Local Time Of Day||1801 To 2400|
|Locale Reference||airport : mnmg.airport|
|Altitude||agl single value : 0|
|Operator||common carrier : air carrier|
|Make Model Name||A320|
|Operating Under FAR Part||Part 121|
|Navigation In Use||other|
|Flight Phase||ground : parked|
landing : roll
|Route In Use||approach : instrument non precision|
|Affiliation||company : air carrier|
|Function||flight crew : first officer|
|Affiliation||company : air carrier|
|Function||flight crew : captain|
oversight : pic
|Anomaly||inflight encounter : weather|
non adherence : company policies
non adherence : far
|Independent Detector||other flight crewa|
|Resolutory Action||flight crew : diverted to another airport|
Flying the parza arrival into runway 7 mroc, the runway was visible from 15 mi out. Cleared for the ILS DME runway 7, we continued the approach. At roughly 500 ft AGL, we encountered a scattered layer. At 200 ft we lost visual with the runway and executed a missed approach. We flew the published missed approach. The eastern part of the airport and runway were VMC. Seeing the city and the runway, we believed that this was a temporary phenomena. We attempted another ILS approach to runway 7. The conditions worsened and we executed another missed approach at minimums. On climb out, the captain's fuel analysis and mine agreed -- roughly 5000 pounds at our planned alternate of mslp with no unplanned contingencies. WX there was reported marginal. We also circumnaved numerous thunderstorms in the vicinity on our way to mroc. We agreed that flying there would leave us no options if we could not land or encountered the same storms we circumnaved earlier. Mnmg was 70 mi off our nose and WX there was reported VFR. We 'ACARS'ed' dispatch with our intentions to change our alternate. Although they wanted us to go to mslp and asked us to do so I believe 2 separate times, we said that fuel and WX would not allow this. They said they would make the necessary arrangements at mnmg. Neither the captain nor I had an mnmg 11-1 page even though our pubs were up to date and we had other pages from that revision as indicated in the flight operations manual page log. We flew the mnmg VOR arrival procedure and the VOR DME runway 9 approach. A landing was made without incident. We parked the aircraft and did not permit any passenger to deplane. The crew and passenger were promptly briefed. We used our spanish speaking flight attendant to translate instructions to the fueler who had driven a truck to the plane. He could not fuel until air carrier provided him with billing information. The next 2 hours were consumed trying to attain billing information from dispatch via ACARS and phone. At one point, dispatch asked the captain to use his credit card to pay for the fuel. We then received a message that air carrier had an amex card, but nothing more was received after this issue was delivered. After roughly 2.5 hours on the ground at mnmg, the captain inquired with me and as a crew, we decided that it was unsafe to continue the flight for the following reasons: 1) crew fatigue (20+ hours awake captain/first officer). 2) no published 10-3 page. 3) night flying in unfamiliar mountainous terrain. 4) reported mroc WX had not changed and indicated the same cloud deck -- 100 few -- and a temperature/dewpoint of 20 degrees/20 degrees -- calm winds. 5) WX in mslp still marginal with severe WX en route. When we told dispatch of our intentions, they asked us to continue to mroc, the WX was decent enough they said. When the captain used the 'unsafe' term with the reasons listed above in our second message, they asked us to reconsider. The captain then indicated that the flight is terminated.
Original NASA ASRS Text
Title: AFTER 2 APCHS AT FOREIGN DEST ARPT AND A DIVERT TO AN ARPT NOT DESIRED BY HIS COMPANY DISPATCHER THE CAPT REMAINED UNDER PRESSURE FROM THE DISPATCHER TO RETURN TO THE DEST. CONSIDERING FURTHER OP, FOR VARIOUS REASONS, UNSAFE THE FLT WAS STOPPED AT THE DIVERSION ARPT.
Narrative: FLYING THE PARZA ARR INTO RWY 7 MROC, THE RWY WAS VISIBLE FROM 15 MI OUT. CLRED FOR THE ILS DME RWY 7, WE CONTINUED THE APCH. AT ROUGHLY 500 FT AGL, WE ENCOUNTERED A SCATTERED LAYER. AT 200 FT WE LOST VISUAL WITH THE RWY AND EXECUTED A MISSED APCH. WE FLEW THE PUBLISHED MISSED APCH. THE EASTERN PART OF THE ARPT AND RWY WERE VMC. SEEING THE CITY AND THE RWY, WE BELIEVED THAT THIS WAS A TEMPORARY PHENOMENA. WE ATTEMPTED ANOTHER ILS APCH TO RWY 7. THE CONDITIONS WORSENED AND WE EXECUTED ANOTHER MISSED APCH AT MINIMUMS. ON CLBOUT, THE CAPT'S FUEL ANALYSIS AND MINE AGREED -- ROUGHLY 5000 LBS AT OUR PLANNED ALTERNATE OF MSLP WITH NO UNPLANNED CONTINGENCIES. WX THERE WAS RPTED MARGINAL. WE ALSO CIRCUMNAVED NUMEROUS TSTMS IN THE VICINITY ON OUR WAY TO MROC. WE AGREED THAT FLYING THERE WOULD LEAVE US NO OPTIONS IF WE COULD NOT LAND OR ENCOUNTERED THE SAME STORMS WE CIRCUMNAVED EARLIER. MNMG WAS 70 MI OFF OUR NOSE AND WX THERE WAS RPTED VFR. WE 'ACARS'ED' DISPATCH WITH OUR INTENTIONS TO CHANGE OUR ALTERNATE. ALTHOUGH THEY WANTED US TO GO TO MSLP AND ASKED US TO DO SO I BELIEVE 2 SEPARATE TIMES, WE SAID THAT FUEL AND WX WOULD NOT ALLOW THIS. THEY SAID THEY WOULD MAKE THE NECESSARY ARRANGEMENTS AT MNMG. NEITHER THE CAPT NOR I HAD AN MNMG 11-1 PAGE EVEN THOUGH OUR PUBS WERE UP TO DATE AND WE HAD OTHER PAGES FROM THAT REVISION AS INDICATED IN THE FLT OPS MANUAL PAGE LOG. WE FLEW THE MNMG VOR ARR PROC AND THE VOR DME RWY 9 APCH. A LNDG WAS MADE WITHOUT INCIDENT. WE PARKED THE ACFT AND DID NOT PERMIT ANY PAX TO DEPLANE. THE CREW AND PAX WERE PROMPTLY BRIEFED. WE USED OUR SPANISH SPEAKING FLT ATTENDANT TO TRANSLATE INSTRUCTIONS TO THE FUELER WHO HAD DRIVEN A TRUCK TO THE PLANE. HE COULD NOT FUEL UNTIL ACR PROVIDED HIM WITH BILLING INFO. THE NEXT 2 HRS WERE CONSUMED TRYING TO ATTAIN BILLING INFO FROM DISPATCH VIA ACARS AND PHONE. AT ONE POINT, DISPATCH ASKED THE CAPT TO USE HIS CREDIT CARD TO PAY FOR THE FUEL. WE THEN RECEIVED A MESSAGE THAT ACR HAD AN AMEX CARD, BUT NOTHING MORE WAS RECEIVED AFTER THIS ISSUE WAS DELIVERED. AFTER ROUGHLY 2.5 HRS ON THE GND AT MNMG, THE CAPT INQUIRED WITH ME AND AS A CREW, WE DECIDED THAT IT WAS UNSAFE TO CONTINUE THE FLT FOR THE FOLLOWING REASONS: 1) CREW FATIGUE (20+ HRS AWAKE CAPT/FO). 2) NO PUBLISHED 10-3 PAGE. 3) NIGHT FLYING IN UNFAMILIAR MOUNTAINOUS TERRAIN. 4) RPTED MROC WX HAD NOT CHANGED AND INDICATED THE SAME CLOUD DECK -- 100 FEW -- AND A TEMP/DEWPOINT OF 20 DEGS/20 DEGS -- CALM WINDS. 5) WX IN MSLP STILL MARGINAL WITH SEVERE WX ENRTE. WHEN WE TOLD DISPATCH OF OUR INTENTIONS, THEY ASKED US TO CONTINUE TO MROC, THE WX WAS DECENT ENOUGH THEY SAID. WHEN THE CAPT USED THE 'UNSAFE' TERM WITH THE REASONS LISTED ABOVE IN OUR SECOND MESSAGE, THEY ASKED US TO RECONSIDER. THE CAPT THEN INDICATED THAT THE FLT IS TERMINATED.
Data retrieved from NASA's ASRS site as of July 2007 and automatically converted to unabbreviated mixed upper/lowercase text. This report is for informational purposes with no guarantee of accuracy. See NASA's ASRS site for official report.