|37000 Feet||Browse and search NASA's
Aviation Safety Reporting System
|Local Time Of Day||0001 To 0600|
|Locale Reference||airport : zzz.airport|
|Altitude||agl single value : 0|
|Controlling Facilities||tower : sfo.tower|
|Operator||common carrier : air carrier|
|Make Model Name||B737-300|
|Operating Under FAR Part||Part 121|
|Flight Phase||ground : maintenance|
|Affiliation||company : air carrier|
|Function||maintenance : technician|
|Qualification||technician : powerplant|
technician : airframe
|Anomaly||aircraft equipment problem : critical|
maintenance problem : improper maintenance
maintenance problem : improper documentation
non adherence : published procedure
non adherence : far
|Resolutory Action||none taken : detected after the fact|
|Maintenance||contributing factor : schedule pressure|
performance deficiency : installation
performance deficiency : non compliance with legal requirements
performance deficiency : logbook entry
Maintenance Human Performance
|Primary Problem||Maintenance Human Performance|
On the night of jan/mon/03, aircraft came in with a squawk of pilot/first officer couldn't transmit on VHF #1 and only sporadically on VHF #2. Captain indicated that the 'fob' select panel seemed to interfere. Previous stations had changed out control heads and a select panel. When it came to the station, was experiencing communication problems itself between base and inbound aircraft. During T/south, I had to contact aircraft to confirm that I could transmit, but not hear myself of transmitting. Noting that so many components had already been changed, I looked for something that would tie all this together. This ended up being the remote electronics unit. I went to the shop, not realizing that the -300/-500/-600 fleet had different models, so when I found the remote electronics unit on the shelf, I grabbed it, presuming that was what I needed. I then swapped out the remote electronics unit and did an operations check. This fixed the problem, so I signed off the discrepancy.
Original NASA ASRS Text
Title: A B737-300 WAS DISPATCHED IN NON COMPLIANCE WITH THE INCORRECT REMOTE ELECTRONICS UNIT INSTALLED FOR A COMS RPT.
Narrative: ON THE NIGHT OF JAN/MON/03, ACFT CAME IN WITH A SQUAWK OF PLT/FO COULDN'T XMIT ON VHF #1 AND ONLY SPORADICALLY ON VHF #2. CAPT INDICATED THAT THE 'FOB' SELECT PANEL SEEMED TO INTERFERE. PREVIOUS STATIONS HAD CHANGED OUT CTL HEADS AND A SELECT PANEL. WHEN IT CAME TO THE STATION, WAS EXPERIENCING COM PROBS ITSELF BTWN BASE AND INBOUND ACFT. DURING T/S, I HAD TO CONTACT ACFT TO CONFIRM THAT I COULD XMIT, BUT NOT HEAR MYSELF OF XMITTING. NOTING THAT SO MANY COMPONENTS HAD ALREADY BEEN CHANGED, I LOOKED FOR SOMETHING THAT WOULD TIE ALL THIS TOGETHER. THIS ENDED UP BEING THE REMOTE ELECTRONICS UNIT. I WENT TO THE SHOP, NOT REALIZING THAT THE -300/-500/-600 FLEET HAD DIFFERENT MODELS, SO WHEN I FOUND THE REMOTE ELECTRONICS UNIT ON THE SHELF, I GRABBED IT, PRESUMING THAT WAS WHAT I NEEDED. I THEN SWAPPED OUT THE REMOTE ELECTRONICS UNIT AND DID AN OPS CHK. THIS FIXED THE PROB, SO I SIGNED OFF THE DISCREPANCY.
Data retrieved from NASA's ASRS site as of July 2007 and automatically converted to unabbreviated mixed upper/lowercase text. This report is for informational purposes with no guarantee of accuracy. See NASA's ASRS site for official report.