|37000 Feet||Browse and search NASA's
Aviation Safety Reporting System
|Local Time Of Day||1801 To 2400|
|Locale Reference||atc facility : evu|
airport : stj
|Altitude||msl bound lower : 2500|
msl bound upper : 2500
|Operator||general aviation : personal|
|Make Model Name||Cessna 150|
|Operating Under FAR Part||Part 91|
|Flight Phase||cruise other|
|Function||flight crew : single pilot|
|Qualification||pilot : instrument|
pilot : commercial
pilot : cfi
|Experience||flight time last 90 days : 25|
flight time total : 753
flight time type : 200
|Affiliation||government : faa|
|Function||controller : radar|
|Qualification||controller : radar|
|Anomaly||non adherence : far|
other anomaly other
|Independent Detector||other flight crewa|
|Resolutory Action||none taken : anomaly accepted|
|Primary Problem||Flight Crew Human Performance|
|Air Traffic Incident||Pilot Deviation|
I departed fcm en route to dwh. The forecast winds were 180 degrees, 10 KTS for my route of flight. After I passed FOD, I started looking for someplace to land for fuel. I had been airborne approximately 2 hours and it was now dark. Since every small airport I flew over was closed, I attempted to make it to stj, which was 300 NM from fcm, and should have been no problem. Approximately 5 NM north of evu, the engine started sputtering, so I immediately turned towards a road I was paralleling. I transmitted my 'mayday' on stj CTAF first, then I switched to 121.5 and broadcast 2 times more. I landed on the road without incident. Someone gave me a ride to a gas station where I got 5 gallons of premium unleaded. I went back to the plane and put in the automatic gas. Shortly after that, the police arrived and the usual paperwork took place. After several hours, I decided to wait until morning to attempt to takeoff. The following morning I went out to the airport and got 10 gallons of AVGAS and went out to where the plane was parked and put fuel in. The ceiling was too low, so I waited until the next day. I took of from the road, with the sheriff department's help, without incident. I continued on to dwh with no further problems. Contributing factors: I talked to ZKC the night of the incident. They reported actual winds in excess of 30 KTS from the south. I was in a hurry to get back to dwh. I should have paid closer attention to how long I had been flying, and I should have stopped for fuel in FOD. I now realize that I was extremely lucky, and should stop for fuel more often when flying an unfamiliar aircraft at night. I had picked the aircraft up in fcm for someone who had just bought it, and I was delivering it to him. No matter how much I wanted to get home that night, I should not have put automatic gas in the aircraft which did not have an stc.
Original NASA ASRS Text
Title: C150 FORCED LNDG DUE TO FUEL EXHAUSTION.
Narrative: I DEPARTED FCM ENRTE TO DWH. THE FORECAST WINDS WERE 180 DEGS, 10 KTS FOR MY RTE OF FLT. AFTER I PASSED FOD, I STARTED LOOKING FOR SOMEPLACE TO LAND FOR FUEL. I HAD BEEN AIRBORNE APPROX 2 HRS AND IT WAS NOW DARK. SINCE EVERY SMALL ARPT I FLEW OVER WAS CLOSED, I ATTEMPTED TO MAKE IT TO STJ, WHICH WAS 300 NM FROM FCM, AND SHOULD HAVE BEEN NO PROB. APPROX 5 NM N OF EVU, THE ENG STARTED SPUTTERING, SO I IMMEDIATELY TURNED TOWARDS A ROAD I WAS PARALLELING. I XMITTED MY 'MAYDAY' ON STJ CTAF FIRST, THEN I SWITCHED TO 121.5 AND BROADCAST 2 TIMES MORE. I LANDED ON THE ROAD WITHOUT INCIDENT. SOMEONE GAVE ME A RIDE TO A GAS STATION WHERE I GOT 5 GALLONS OF PREMIUM UNLEADED. I WENT BACK TO THE PLANE AND PUT IN THE AUTO GAS. SHORTLY AFTER THAT, THE POLICE ARRIVED AND THE USUAL PAPERWORK TOOK PLACE. AFTER SEVERAL HRS, I DECIDED TO WAIT UNTIL MORNING TO ATTEMPT TO TKOF. THE FOLLOWING MORNING I WENT OUT TO THE ARPT AND GOT 10 GALLONS OF AVGAS AND WENT OUT TO WHERE THE PLANE WAS PARKED AND PUT FUEL IN. THE CEILING WAS TOO LOW, SO I WAITED UNTIL THE NEXT DAY. I TOOK OF FROM THE ROAD, WITH THE SHERIFF DEPT'S HELP, WITHOUT INCIDENT. I CONTINUED ON TO DWH WITH NO FURTHER PROBS. CONTRIBUTING FACTORS: I TALKED TO ZKC THE NIGHT OF THE INCIDENT. THEY RPTED ACTUAL WINDS IN EXCESS OF 30 KTS FROM THE S. I WAS IN A HURRY TO GET BACK TO DWH. I SHOULD HAVE PAID CLOSER ATTENTION TO HOW LONG I HAD BEEN FLYING, AND I SHOULD HAVE STOPPED FOR FUEL IN FOD. I NOW REALIZE THAT I WAS EXTREMELY LUCKY, AND SHOULD STOP FOR FUEL MORE OFTEN WHEN FLYING AN UNFAMILIAR ACFT AT NIGHT. I HAD PICKED THE ACFT UP IN FCM FOR SOMEONE WHO HAD JUST BOUGHT IT, AND I WAS DELIVERING IT TO HIM. NO MATTER HOW MUCH I WANTED TO GET HOME THAT NIGHT, I SHOULD NOT HAVE PUT AUTO GAS IN THE ACFT WHICH DID NOT HAVE AN STC.
Data retrieved from NASA's ASRS site as of July 2007 and automatically converted to unabbreviated mixed upper/lowercase text. This report is for informational purposes with no guarantee of accuracy. See NASA's ASRS site for official report.